Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Oaked Pear Cider Experiment - in progress (w/pics)

I've put my beer brewing on hold for now - it's hard to devote 6 hours to a brew day with a one month old... But I just can't stand the sight of empty fermenters. So I decided to experiment a bit - I've always wanted to make pear cider (or perry), and I came across a pretty good deal on a gallon jug of all natural pear juice concentrate. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but here's my plan (for a 5.5 gallon batch):

- 1 gallon pear juice concentrate
- 4.5 gallons RO water
- 1# demerara sugar
- 2 tsp yeast nutrient
- 1 pack Nottingham yeast

From my research, OG should be around 1.070 or so. I plan to primary in a 6.5 gallon bucket for a few weeks, then rack into a 5-gallon carboy onto 2 oz of medium toast French oak cubes and leave until the desired level of oakiness is reached, then prime and bottle.

I will update when I actually make this - in the meantime, all comments are welcome!

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=370518 said:

Is the gallon consentrate for 5 gallons?

Yes, it needs to be diluted 4:1 or so.

Concentrate people took their sweet time shipping it to me, but it had finally arrived on Friday, so I "brewed" this up yesterday. The spec sheet for the Pear Juice Concentrate listed it at 70 Brix - or roughly SG 1.400, so I decided to up the water to full 5 gallons for a slightly lower (still pretty high) OG.

Here are the ingredients (minus the yeast nutrient - forgot to put it in the picture):
- 1 gallon Pear Juice Concentrate
- 5 gallons RO-filtered water (using my RO filter)
- 1 pound turbinado sugar (couldn't find demerara that I wanted)
- 3 tsp yeast nutrient (decided to up it a bit to account for the high gravity must)
- 1 pack Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast

I poured a couple gallons of water from the water jug into a clean sanitized bucket, then added the pear concentrate to the water jug and shook to combine and aerate. I then poured the sugar through a funnel into the now empty concentrate jug, along with the 3 tsp of yeast nutrient, added half a gallon of water from the bucket, and shook to dissolve completely. Once that was done, I just combined it all in the 6.5 gallon bucket, mixed with a sanitized spoon and took the gravity sample. I was lazy, so I just sprinkled the yeast on top, sealed the lid with airlock, and put it in the basement to ferment.

The color was much darker than anticipated - a very dark reddish amber. Very pretty. OG ended up at 1.076 or so - it was hard to tell with all the foam at the top.

The sample was super tasty - I ended up mixing most of it with a glass of ice tea!

Now I'm going to let it sit in the primary bucket for a couple of week or until the airlock activity slows down, then I will rack it off the yeast into a 5-gallon secondary carboy onto an ounce of medium toast French Oak cubes to age a while.

I'm hoping for a sweeter end product vs. apple cider - from what I've been reading, pear juice has more unfermentables than apple juice. Others have reported pear ciders finishing around 1.015-1.018 - that would be perfect. We shall see.

And now I wait...

"Da Yooper" post=373496 said:

Where did you get the concentrate from?

It's from NaturesFlavors.com - they have all kinds of interesting flavorings and concentrates.

So after 11 days, the airlock activity slowed down to pretty much nothing, which is a good point for a transfer to secondary. The yeast dropped almost completely clear, and the gravity was at 1.025. I sanitized an ounce of medium toast French oak cubes by boiling for 10 min, then racked pear cider on top of them into a 5-gallon PET carboy that I filled pretty much to the neck. I had enough left over to fill a 1/2 gallon growler as well. Both are sitting under airlocks.

At this point, it tasted great - very pronounced caramel sweetness with notes of cider tartness and just a touch of bitter. I hope it does not dry out too much in secondary.

After 4 weeks in secondary with 1 oz of oak cubes, I took another sample - gravity is pretty much the same at 1.024-1.025; it's crystal clear, and is starting to pick up some oak.

Very tasty; not cloyingly sweet, with a nice caramel/molasses notes. Smells very pear-y. The color is a beautiful red:

[img size=500]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2942/u7u2.jpg

I will leave it on oak a while longer - another couple months at least. This should be a great winter drink.