Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlackDuck

New MB Pear Cider

I got my Pear Cider today from MB. Has anyone made this stuff yet? I didn't get directions with it so I looked on the MB site and found directions for the NEW and the OLD refills. The old refills have you add sugar and the new one do not. So I got on the live chat with Brianna today and she said the new ones do not need the sugar added. However, you can add sugar to increase the ABV and dry it out a little. I'm not looking for a sugar/sweet bomb in my ciders. I kind of like them a little drier. So I'm gonna throw some sugar at it.

Anybody else make either the new apple or pear ciders? What are your thoughts and comments?

I would really like to know how this pear cider works out. The best wine I ever made was pear wine.

I'll let you know....judging by the fact that no one has responded, I guess I'm the guinea pig on this.

Gotta love guinea pigs!

I have the pear sitting in my pantry right now. I was going to make it this weekend but decided to make my second seasonal by tossing it on the yeast cake and save the other yeast for something else. That way it will be just about done when the first batch is ready to drink so that I will have a basis for dry hopping.

Interested to know how things come out!

"BlackDuck" post=370541 said:

I got my Pear Cider today from MB. Has anyone made this stuff yet? I didn't get directions with it so I looked on the MB site and found directions for the NEW and the OLD refills. The old refills have you add sugar and the new one do not. So I got on the live chat with Brianna today and she said the new ones do not need the sugar added. However, you can add sugar to increase the ABV and dry it out a little. I'm not looking for a sugar/sweet bomb in my ciders. I kind of like them a little drier. So I'm gonna throw some sugar at it.

Anybody else make either the new apple or pear ciders? What are your thoughts and comments?

I think the standard BORG answer applies. Make it straight up the first time to wee what it is before you tweek. Thanks guinea pig!

First report from the guinea pig: Mixed this up tonight. I added a 1/2 cup white sugar. The OG was 1.032. It will be interesting how low this ferments. It tasted really good.....just like pear juice. Go figure!!!

Duck, I'm looking forward to a full report. I received my apple and pear cider kits 2 days ago. SWMBO is very excited for it to be ready!

I'm going to take a gravity reading tonight and will cold crash later this week and bottle this weekend. But I need some input on carbonation. I would like to get opinions on how much carbonation ciders usually have. Would 2 vols of C02 be a nice light carb amount?

"4stringdude" post=377527 said:

That falls into the mid range for carbonating a cider. That should work well.

Thanks a lot!!!

Duck, What was the FG on your cider? Mine has been in the LBK for 2 weeks. I'm kinda itching to check it out, but making myself wait a bit longer.

It was 1.009. I'm going to check again tomorrow and put in the fridge to crash until Sunday if it hasn't moved any more. I'm guessing it's done. It's been two and half weeks in the LBK for me.

Thanks for the update. I'll be leaving mine in the LBK another 5 days. That should be enough time. SWMBO is anxious for this to be ready. I try to tell her you can't rush quality.

Opened the first one up last night. This is a really good cider. The 2 vols CO2 is a perfect carb level for this. It doesn't really show any bubbling, but it's a nice light effervescence on the tongue when you drink it. It has a nice tart pear flavor to it. This is a good thing to have in the rotation. Nicely done MB!!!!

Thanks, glad to hear about it. I'll have to order some next time I order some ingredients. :barman:

Glad to hear it came out good.

I've had some chilling for a week. I need to break one open. I've been waiting for SWMBO to wrap up a Masters class so we can both enjoy it. She's done tomorrow then it's time.

I like Sir Perry's Pear Cider it's an English cider and carried at my local craft beer bar. It might be a good comparison to the one you made. Glad it came out well!

"BlackDuck" post=370541 said:

The old refills have you add sugar and the new one do not. So I got on the live chat with Brianna today and she said the new ones do not need the sugar added. However, you can add sugar to increase the ABV and dry it out a little. I'm not looking for a sugar/sweet bomb in my ciders. I kind of like them a little drier. So I'm gonna throw some sugar at it.

Got my replacement spigot yesterday (THANKS ROBERT!!) so figured I would make this today while SWMBO is on a pub crawl with her oldest. Wondering how much sugar everyone used in this as well as how long didja let this condition out?