Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deejay

Lemon Zest

I am adding some lemon zest to a wheat beer I am brewing in about an hour. I have never added lemon zest and was just wondering how much I should add to a 2.13 Mr Beer size batch? I want it to kind of match the amount of lemon one would find in a sam adams summer ale or shipyard summer ale. Thanks!

I added lemon zest to a blueberry ale. I added the zest from 3 large lemons. I admit I don't know the exact amount that is. Anyway, it added a wonderful amount of lemon to the brew.

I did this with lime over two years ago, so the details are a little hazy, but I think the zest of 2 lemons would be appropriate for an MB-sized batch. Put the zest in a hop sack.

Thanks I had 3 lemons on hand so I added all 3.

Just curious what your process was. Did you boil it or just add it to the LBK, similar to a dry hop? If boil, how long?

i wouldn't boil longer than 10 min. but it's up to you, i might like 10 min and you might find you prefer 8. personally i belive the zest would make it bitter if dry hopped too long. jmo

I added it about 7 mins before burnout in a muslin bag. Smelled great!

"Deejay" post=370595 said:

I added it about 7 mins before burnout in a muslin bag. Smelled great!

Sounds right! Now comes the wait.

I put the zest of one lemon in my hop bag and the juice of 1 lemon straight into the wort before pitching in the 2.5 keg and there was plenty of good lemon flavor when fermentation was complete. Hopefully it will hold up through the conditioning!