Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elko brewer

Bottling question

On bottling day after you sanitize the bottles do you have to Waite tell they dry completely befor you prime and fill them. Just want to make sure I'm not doing this wrong. Because I do not let the bottles dry all the way. Today when I bottled their was still foam in them from the star San

Don't fear the foam! It won't hurt your beer at all, or change the flavor.

The only requirement is waiting for at least 30 seconds, after that the sanitizer has sanitized and your good to go. Just like Jive said don't fear the foam.

Thanks all. I tend to get a nervice when I comes to the sanitation process I don't want to have a infected batch.

What I do is use my bottling wand and tube to fill the bottles with sanitizer, which I made up in a spare LBK, then dump them back into the same LBK in approximately the same order. That gives them more than enough time to become bacteria free, and in the process thoroughly disinfects the wand and tube. Then I connect the tube to the LBK with the beer, run out enough that all that's coming out is beer, and fill the bottles. I probably waste an ounce or so of beer, but that's a small price to pay for being sure I'm not contaminating it.

I fill them all with the sanitizer using a pitcher and funnel and shake them up (thumb over the hole). Emptying each bottle just before I'm ready to put the sugar in and fill.

I've found the vinator and bottle tree to really speed up the sanitizing business of bottling day...they were a gift at Christmas and I've found that it makes thing really clip along...and the time bottles spend upside down draining helps alleviate any concerns about residual sanitizing solution in the bottles before priming sugar and beers goes back in. (I don't own stock in either company--vinators or bottle trees, by the way!)

B)