Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimmypirate

Playing with Hops

Brewing the Seasonal White IPA tonight and I'm thinking I'd like to experiment with some extra hops because well, I like hops and I wanna play. :P

Picked up an ounce of Willamette Hop Pellets, thinking I'm going incorporate about a quarter of an ounce. The question is where and how? Looking for a little extra hoppy flavor should I add to the boil or commando into the lbk?

is there a dme/lme? you won't need the bitter line. all dry hopping gives you is aroma no flavor.

[attachment=13316]hoputilization_2013-05-10.jpg[/attachment]

Just the HME and the tea bag. Going for flavor so between 10-20 minutes. Looks like 15 would give me a bit of both flavor and aroma.

only kinda there was a whole thread on this a few months ago it has to do with water being unable to break down the oils in the hops. the length of time of the boils has to do with the break down in stages

So boiling the hops in the dme should give me the wonderful oils I am looking for. What do you think I might gain by keeping the hops in for the ferment? Going to use a muslin sack so I could remove prior to adding the hme.

jimmypirate: the alpha acids and beta acids in hops oils are not soluble in water. this is why you will not achieve any qualities you expect in a beer from them by just boiling them in water first. they will optimally dissolve in wort with a gravity between 1.030 and 1.040 as they cling to the sugars and proteins in the wort. I hope this helps.

I'm taking jim's advice above and start the boil with a half pound of dme. Then i'm going to boil the hops for about 15 minutes and then add the spice sack for a minute before I kill the boil. Guess I'm just wondering what might be gained or lost by removing the hop sack before I add the hme and transfer to the lbk.

the hops won't gain anything in the beer if you pour it in with the wort into the fermenter instead of straining it. dry hopping, as stated, will give you some more hop aroma, but nothing else. the hops in your wort will just fall to the bottom with the trub produced by the yeast fermenting.

Cool... This is my first time experimenting with additional hops. My first four batches have been straight MrB refills and recipes. Looking forward to playing mad scientist a bit. At this rate I'll be going 5 gal by the end of the summer.

hey, by all means! brew on! i kinda did the mad scientist this soon after doing straight MB batches... I think I've gotten it out of my system and now I'm brewing styles that I like but moreso to understand different properties of what I put into the beer, how different ingredients affect flavor, appearance, mouthfeel, etc. call it a not-as-mad scientist approach.