Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Josh B

UPDATE NOTICE:

We will be doing a RADICAL update to the MR.BEER site and community soon. (ETA TBD). In order for your forum information and posts to transfer to the new site your MR.BEER customer email address, and your community email address must be the same. Please be sure to check your accounts to make sure they match. THANKS!

Just checked mine. Apparently just registering my kit didn't create a Mr. Beer account, so I created one. Email matches the one I use here, so it should be all good now, I hope.

Yeah, this is a pretty big piece of news, especially for those of us who have thousands of posts out here already. This may be a good candidate for a sticky, at least until the site updates are completed.

I logged into my Mr. Beer account and saw that my email address there was not the same one used when I registered on the forum, so I updated them to both use the same email address. According to the original post this should ensure that all of my previous post get converted along with the site upgrade and I won't have to start from post #1 all over again.

So just to make sure I have this covered. I want to post where I am looking for email addresses and verify I am looking at the right place / places to change my email address as there are more then one spot that you can enter email addresses at mrbeer.com.

For the community it seems pretty simple...
Profile => Edit => Edit Users Information => E-Mail

For Mr. Beer main site it seems like it could be more complicated as there is more then one place
ACCOUNT LOGIN => Edit Shipping Address
OR
ACCOUNT LOGIN => Edit Billing Address

What I need to verify, is there someplace else that holds email?

They must not be planning on bringing all the posts over to the new upgraded site, otherwise why would they need the email addresses to match? Maybe their IT folks can shed a light more light on the upgrade plan and how it affects all community members whether active or inactive.

I'm sure we don't have to worry about it happening here, but I've heard that sometimes during an update like this posts can be suddenly cut off right in the middle of

I've done work with a few forums (moderate on one but not much longer) and sometimes, depending on the space limitations for keeping very old posts, they just delete them.
Just a guess but I think the mrbeer.com site and the forum will be under one roof whereas this forum is a relatively generic forum that is simply tweaked for each group that wants to use is

Invision does a pretty good job with forum software but it'll be interesting to see what is up.

Guest System Admin

Yeah Joe I know what you mea

Just a question about this, my email addresses are the same for both sites, so I think I might be good. The problem is on the MB order site I ended up using a credit card with my wife's name on it, so the emails I get at my email address have her name on them. Hopefully this does not affect my profile during the update.

"JimH" post=371794 said:

Just a question about this, my email addresses are the same for both sites, so I think I might be good. The problem is on the MB order site I ended up using a credit card with my wife's name on it, so the emails I get at my email address have her name on them. Hopefully this does not affect my profile during the update.

Should be fine, other than you may have to wear a wig when you're on the forum.

"azmark" post=371809 said:

Hopefully will include iPhone app?????

And you can't leave out the Android version..

"azmark" post=371809 said:

Hopefully will include iPhone app?????

Yes!! I do all my posting on my iPhone or iPad and get seriously annoyed with how easily it logs me out. :pound:

iPhone app please!!!

the only reasons they would need your customer email addie to match your forum email addie is

1. they will either restrict posters to the forum to their registered customers to keep the riffraff out
2. they will use your buying history to restrict you from posting. 'warning...this is your lbk calling. you have not made a purchase from mr beer in over a month. i am lonely. feed me... or you will no longer be allowed to access your forum account.'

oh and possibly 3: so they can give our names and addresses to the NSA's new track-a-homebrewer division. home brewers are a threat to national security dontcha know?

"Screwy Brewer" post=371286 said:

They must not be planning on bringing all the posts over to the new upgraded site, otherwise why would they need the email addresses to match? Maybe their IT folks can shed a light more light on the upgrade plan and how it affects all community members whether active or inactive.

Pretty likely that in order to post on their company-owned forum they want you registered on the Mr. Beer site to be able to send you emails (unless you opt out), and potentially solicitations by US Mail.

I suspect that given their update notice, it's likely that posts by people that didn't comply will go away - so a lot of the history on the forums will disappear... Or be locked and not updateable?

I hope they don't blow away good information.

Or, option 4 could simply be that they'll be moving to an in-house forum, which makes use of already-established MB accounts, and need to be able to match back to the current forum's accounts in order to port over the info. In short, I think Beer-lord had it right when he wrote:

"Beer-lord" post=371320 said:

Just a guess but I think the mrbeer.com site and the forum will be under one roof whereas this forum is a relatively generic forum that is simply tweaked for each group that wants to use (it).

+1 to phone apps.

I can't wait to hear what's in store for the forum.

Can I get my wife to pay for my mrB purchases?