Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ao

Fermentation Temp

Just moved into a new house. I now have an area in my basement all set up for home brewing. My only question is that it is much cooler down there than in my old house. Checked the air temp around my LBK's and it is around 63 degrees. Is that too cold for fermentation?

Not at all!
I have one room I use to ferment practically all year and it never gets above 66F in the summer and stays around 62-64F in the winter.
Just make sure you get a hydrometer to make sure your brew is ready to bottle, because cooler fermentations do take a little longer.

+1.

When I started, I was under the impression that the room temp needed to be 70 and so I brewed upstairs in a closet and on the first two batches actually ran a little heater. Now I'm in the basement (the LBKs that is) which is the same range as mentioned.

You are in a prime area for optimum brewing temps...wow, what I would give for a basement again...grew up in burb west of Denver and LOVED our basement. Now, in Arid-zona, can't even get house temps below 66* even in winter time and NO basements within miles. Only the rich have basements built here.

You should be fine as long as you accept from the get go that it's going to take longer at 63.

As others have said, that temp is really quite perfect, though you may need to give your fermentation a little extra time. My basement is 65 in the winter and I have been fine with the 3 week fermentation time on all my batches, but I probably wouldn't go less than 3 weeks at that temp.

63* is not that low. Your wort will start fermenting 5-10* above the room temp. Which for many yeasts may be too warm. The recommended temps on the yeast are for your wort temp not the air temp.

I think there are a couple of lager yeast that will work at that temp too. Another little trick is to place the fermenters on the concrete floor. The strip thermometer on my buckets never read higher than 55* when I do that

As azmark referred to, your actual fermenting temps will be a few degrees higher than the room temp so you'll likely be in the 65-67 range when fermentation is going strong. That should put you in a nice spot for most ales.

Thank you all for the feedback! That puts my mind at ease!