Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbs

Oktoberfest, which LME to add abv and not alter

I've got one Oktoberfest left from a few I got on sale and I'd like to brew it straight up except add some meat to it and maybe a little carapils.

I'm going to add about a 1lb of LME (300ml or so).

I have jugs of Pale, Amber and Dark LME so I can mix up whatever to hopefully get a blend that matches fairly close, or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

100 ml of each
200 ml of amber + 100ml of dark

Any thoughts on this?

I've never tried an Oktoberfest brew, to be honest it's not my typical go to style but I'd like to try it anyways, if not for me, for my guests. I used my first two cans for two batches of Howling Red which are still a ways off before sampling so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with (I did one with Centennial and one with Cascade and dry hopped them, can't wait :) ).

thanks

Neil

I would go with the amber. I picture an octoberfest as the color of your mr beer avatar or the mrb heading across the top of the web page. Dark LME may make it a tad to dark.

I recently did an octoberfest but brewed it as a lager using wlp820 yeast and fermented at 52ish.

If you don't want to alter it, then pale is your only choice. Any other LME you listed would alter things somewhat. A guide can be found by looking at the Mr. Beer recipes, they could use any LME they sell. Bohemian Bronze adds pale LME.

I use pale in everything except wheat brews.

I also would recommend the Pale. The color will not be affected all that much, but what's really important is not adulterating the flavor. It would seem to me that both the Amber and the Dark would have to contain flavors that would alter the original HME. The Pale, not so much.

Another vote for the Pale. It has less flavor and color than the amber and dark malts. Thus, it should alter the Octoberfest the least. The dark also would drastically change the color. The amber would alter the color a little bit, too.

alright, thanks for the feedback folks.

I had a feeling the consensus would be pale, however I kind of came up with a compromise.

Today I made a 1.5L starter with 100ml of Amber LME, hopefully this will be ready for tomorrow afternoons brew session.

I will use 200-250ml of Pale at brew time.

Sorry I'm late to this one. The Oktoberfest I'm drinking now I added 3/4lb of amber DME and 1/2 lb pale LME. It's delicious.

you may want to consider adding some hops to the mix. Some aroma hops would be a nice touch. Do you have Qbrew & Mr B DB?? It is a great help when altering MR B HME's

ya, I keep holding off on the Qbrew, trial and error is much more fun! lol

so check this out, this was my first time using a starter, I don't know what it is I'm just not a big fan of the taste that Mr. B yeast leaves in my beers. I've done some with US-05 and it tastes much cleaner. So I thought making this starter might make a difference for whatever reason. Well I made this up with 100ml LME in the starter and an additional 200ml of LME, came out with an OG of 1.042, the LBK overflowed today! That is some happy yeast! ...and a mess for my to clean-up. I can't believe such a low OG overflowed.

Just for your info the yeast you used is an ale yeast. I always use DME for my starters.

Safale US-05 Ale Yeast
Manufacturer Fermentis
Yeast Format Dry
Yeast Type Ale
Yeast Origin/Influence USA
Min Fermenting Temp 59
Max Fermenting Temp 75
Flocculation No
Min Attenuation % No
Max Attenuation % No