Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
snakefetus

Puzzling

:blink:

So. I brewed up an amber wheat ale a bit ago, using DME and hopping it myself. Anyway I started everything out in my large bucket, then racked into 2 LBK's. fast forward 2 weeks and I have bottled said brew. Now fast forward another 3.5 weeks. Upon testing 2 bottles, the one bottle from LBK 1 was ok. a little undercarbed but alright. Bottle from LBK 2 was pretty much if not completly flat and also quite sour.
I batched primed using amounts from screwy's website, in 2 sittings. ( I bottled from one LBK, then later that day did the other LBK)
They conditioned in the dark at 69-70F.
I checked some other bottles from the sour batch and they all came out the same, and the one plastic bottle I used is very soft.
I am very confident that the seals on the bottles are ok, so thats not the issue, but I really am at a loss as to why half this batch turned out ok and the other half came out so bad. What makes it worse is I made this batch with a friend interested in starting homebrewing and really dont want this to sour (pun intended :cheer: ) his experience on this wonderful hobby.

Any thoughts / feelings from the borg? :cheers:

EDIT: The beer fermented in the primary for 1 week, and in the LBK's for 2 weeks

Do you recall which LBK was racked first and which second? The only thing I can figure is that not enough yeast was transferred to one of them. How, I don't know. But that would explain the lack of carbonation. The sour taste may be the result of incomplete fermentation or a slight infection.

Also, since it's entirely one LBK that's hinky, maybe it's the keg itself. It certainly isn't the beer, since the one half turned out okay. Can you think of anything about that LBK that might be off, either permanently, such as age, scratches, other compromises, or for this particular instance, such as inadequate cleaning/sanitizing?

Did you mistakenly prime with lemonade mix instead of sugar? :P
Sounds like two separate issue, and I cant help you.... Im sure someone will chime in who can....

Sorry, sucks to lose a batch, I've been blessed to have never gotten an infectious brew.

Ditto

One of the LBKs was/is infected. Does one of them have lots of scratches? Are you sure you did a very good job of cleaning/disinfecting? I'd be careful about using the bad LBK again for sure, if u know which one it was.

Well, I feel that I do clean very well, and I then sanitize with Iodophor (I believe thats the correct spelling). I do know which LBK it was because about 6 months ago my cat knocked my empty LBK onto the floor and the lid broke in 2, so I have since been just covering the opening with saran wrap and 2 single tiny holes for ventilation. I know its no airlock, but I've had to make do. I have not had any issues with the saran wrap lid, until now I guess.
As for scratches, as far as I can tell it seems smooth. I've not used anything abrasive to clean the inside with either. I was thinking it could be the LBK itself, as you mentioned Dave, I just wasn't sure that would affect the carbonation in the bottles.

I have been debating on ordering a new Mr.Beer kit with fermentor off of amazon, looks like its now been decided.
Thanks for the input!

why don't you ask mrb for another lid, how much could it cost? the nasties that will infect your beer can't clime so they can't get in under the lid. but they could've gotten thru the holes in the plastic wrap after primary fermentation is finished and co2 is no longer pushing out the holes.

Leave the beer in bottles. My first lbk produced beer that was progressively more sour. But time aged them better.
I also suspect one keg, it seems logical.