Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JDFarrer

Classic American Light Deluxe

I am kind of new to brewing. I have done a few batches but they have all had a plasticy taste. I am going to try the American light in the next day or 2 and would like to know if there are any tips or tricks to make this mix good drinking. I have decided to use bottled water to avoid any chlorine and have the 1 liter Mr Beer bottles. Is there anything that should be added to this refill for ultimate flavor?
Thanks for any suggestions

[attachment=13448]Welcome01_2013-03-23_2013-05-19.gif[/attachment]

please give us your brew process you did not give us any info to help you out

I was just going to follow the directions on the refill, like I said I am new to this.

that is your first mistake they do not work very well

ferment == 21 days
carb == 14 days
condition at least 14 days longer is better

second you also my be fermenting at too high of a temp and/or sanitation issues

Chlorophenol

Tastes/Smells
Like:
Plastic, Vinyl, Iodine

Possible
Causes:
Using chlorinated tap water to brew
or rinse equipment is the most common cause for
plastic-like or medicinal flavors. Medicinal flavors
can also be the result of using cleanser or sanitizer
that is chlorine or iodine based. Some wild yeast will
contribute to a similar medicinal taste

Thank you. I have one that came with it so I was planning on adding it. Have you tried this refill? How is it? Do I want to let it ferment longer than 14 days?

I thought the same with the sterilization because I did use a bleach last time and rinsed with tap water, which the instructions said was acceptable. I now have a room in my house that stays between 67-70 degrees so that is where I will store it. Does metal spoons and whisks, etc cause odd flavor?

Non-damaged stainless steel is perfect and won't cause any off flavors. That refill tastes like Bud wished it did with the extra LME. Go 3 weeks in the LBK, you'll be happy. You can boil water to get the chlorine out, or let it sit overnight. But you always want quality water.

"JDFarrer" post=373237 said:

I thought the same with the sterilization because I did use a bleach last time and rinsed with tap water, which the instructions said was acceptable. I now have a room in my house that stays between 67-70 degrees so that is where I will store it. Does metal spoons and whisks, etc cause odd flavor?

The bleach turned out to be the problem with a friend's brewing. First batch he used the included sanitizer but for whatever reason, switched to bleach for the rest. Only the first batch came out without having any off flavors.

don't blame the bleach I use that for anything that is plastic and never had off flavors because of it. It will get into the nooks when you end up scratching plastic. Another good sanitizer is Hydrogen Peroxide, a lot of your O2 cleaners are based on it. Most off flavors are the direct result of incorrect brewing. Too warm a ferment, poor sanitation & yeast issues. Ask a commercial what a home brewer does wrong and they will tell you "poor sanitation"