Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
cbaker41

Broken Spigot, lost the batch

Recommended Posts

Hey all I was about to bottle my northwestern pale ale with booster and LME and the spigot broke. It started by leaking, something it did not do during fermentation. I got the bottles ready to go but as soon as I turned the spigot on to bottle the beer came flooding out. I lost the entire batch sadly. When I examined the spigot afterward it was broken from the part that is inside, where it is screwed into the washer. Any ideas on how that happened? It would have been my 3rd batch. The only thing I did differently is put a damp towel over it in a cooler to help with the temperature. I live in phoenix, arizona, and read that would help once it gets hot. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of us (myself included) have broken a spigot in that exact part of it. Best advice is to contact Mr. Beer by email about it. Many folks have had their broken ones replaced by Mr. Beer free of charge. They will possibly ask for pictures of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help, and the song lol. I will email them about it. The worst part was losing the batch. It was sad to see that beer go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be carefull not to over tighten the nut when installing the spigot. Also any time you open and close the spigot use your other hand to keep the spigot from stressing when opening and closing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I have to say is the "Old" locking spigot, NEVER had this issue.

Mr. Beer needs to go back to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice to you is to order a bunch of spare spigots and use them to replace other possibly broken spigots down the road. Its too bad you had to lose an entire batch of beer, I know how mad that would have made me too since I nearly had the same thing happen to me with a 5 gallon batch once. Ever since then I unscrew and inspect each of my spigots just prior to sanitizing them on brewday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it was very frusterating to lose the batch of beer. I was really looking forward to trying it after letting it carb and condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a chance that Mr. Beer could replace the batch that i lost due to the malfunction after only 3 batches? Or should I assume not and just rebuy the materials to try again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of when I tried to filter an awesome Citra brew, and there was so much residual co2 from the massive dry hopping, that the beer got stuck in the tubing. I ended taking the filter apart, because I thought that the filter pads where clogged, but that wasn't case. I ended up losing 1/2 the batch. The place I bought the filter kit from offered to send me a 5 gal recipe kit of my choice, and some filter pads for what I lost in the batch. I wasn't even expecting them to offer anything, but they went way beyond my expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Screwy Brewer" post=373409 said:

My advice to you is to order a bunch of spare spigots and use them to replace other possibly broken spigots down the road. Its too bad you had to lose an entire batch of beer, I know how mad that would have made me too since I nearly had the same thing happen to me with a 5 gallon batch once. Ever since then I unscrew and inspect each of my spigots just prior to sanitizing them on brewday.

Screwy, this happened to me right before bottling, so I have an extra spigot just like this one. I've been doing nothing but kegs lately for almost a year, so I haven't had the need for a spigot. I will be bottling up a sour in a couple months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky, I noticed the crack after I bottled and was cleaning up. I guarantee it would have broken on the next batch.

MB is replacing the spigot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"cbaker41" post=373414 said:

Is there a chance that Mr. Beer could replace the batch that i lost due to the malfunction after only 3 batches? Or should I assume not and just rebuy the materials to try again?

I think I've heard cases of Mr. Beer replacing the batch as well. I would certainly ask them to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would I upgrade to a better spigot?
I know some people have enlarged the whole and put in a more durable spigot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"losman26" post=373421 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=373409 said:

My advice to you is to order a bunch of spare spigots and use them to replace other possibly broken spigots down the road. Its too bad you had to lose an entire batch of beer, I know how mad that would have made me too since I nearly had the same thing happen to me with a 5 gallon batch once. Ever since then I unscrew and inspect each of my spigots just prior to sanitizing them on brewday.

Screwy, this happened to me right before bottling, so I have an extra spigot just like this one. I've been doing nothing but kegs lately for almost a year, so I haven't had the need for a spigot. I will be bottling up a sour in a couple months.


In my love of using spigots and tubing, instead of racking canes and auto siphons which I find too cumbersome to use and maintain, I've installed spigots in all my fermentors which now can also double as bottling buckets. I keep several spare spigots on hand in the brewroom just in case one needs replacing, they're pretty hard to clean so every once in a while I'll just replace them if they look too dirty to clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Screwy Brewer" post=373464 said:

"losman26" post=373421 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=373409 said:

My advice to you is to order a bunch of spare spigots and use them to replace other possibly broken spigots down the road. Its too bad you had to lose an entire batch of beer, I know how mad that would have made me too since I nearly had the same thing happen to me with a 5 gallon batch once. Ever since then I unscrew and inspect each of my spigots just prior to sanitizing them on brewday.

Screwy, this happened to me right before bottling, so I have an extra spigot just like this one. I've been doing nothing but kegs lately for almost a year, so I haven't had the need for a spigot. I will be bottling up a sour in a couple months.


In my love of using spigots and tubing, instead of racking canes and auto siphons which I find too cumbersome to use and maintain, I've installed spigots in all my fermentors which now can also double as bottling buckets. I keep several spare spigots on hand in the brewroom just in case one needs replacing, they're pretty hard to clean so every once in a while I'll just replace them if they look too dirty to clean.

I've been using the better bottle racking system lately which is the best. It picks up virtually no trub, because you can adjust the stem and is almost as fast as the large auto-siphon. What I don't like about the auto-siphon is that, unless you do a serious cold crash, you going to pick up a lot trub and hop sediment. I just had to transfer a batch with the auto-siphon with one of my non-racking system better bottles, and could not get as far down as I wanted because it was sucking up too much trub.

Also, the better bottle racking works flawlessly washing yeast. Simply throw in a gallon of sterilized water, let it sit, and suck the yeast out exactly where you need to. I can get my yeast washing done in one step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myself I use the auto-siphon get no trub. Use a clip and suspend just above the trub. Of course you have to make sure that diverter for the siphon is attached. That way the draw in is facing up and not down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"haerbob3" post=373483 said:

Myself I use the auto-siphon get no trub. Use a clip and suspend just above the trub. Of course you have to make sure that diverter for the siphon is attached. That way the draw in is facing up and not down.

The problem is, that the diverter is too big. You cannot get that last inch and 1/2 of beer without tipping the carboy back, and when you tip back, you get a bunch of trub or yeast. Of course when you cold crash, it's not a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"cbaker41" post=373414 said:

Is there a chance that Mr. Beer could replace the batch that i lost due to the malfunction after only 3 batches? Or should I assume not and just rebuy the materials to try again?

Yes, many Borgsters had their batches replaced. Just ask. MrB has one of the best customer service desks in the industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

This is why I use Better Bottles now. Racking canes/auto siphons are easy to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that is not an issue I design my recipes taking that into account. If done correctly you should be able to sit in the trub and not draw any. Any time you tilt or move the fermenter you are asking to get trub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can attest that I am very happy with the customer service that I have recieved. They told me that they would replace the spigot and the batch (which included a booster and LME as I bought the deluxe). They will replace it as soon as I send them the photos. I may be delayed in trying the beer, but it was a learning experience in the end. Thanks everyone for your help and guidance. Thanks as well to Mr. Beer for having great customer service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"haerbob3" post=373519 said:

that is not an issue I design my recipes taking that into account. If done correctly you should be able to sit in the trub and not draw any. Any time you tilt or move the fermenter you are asking to get trub.


I'm going to start making my recipes to be around 5.25 gal instead of 5 or 2.75 instead of 2.5. This way, I can cut out the curse words when I transfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...