Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  

Shipping

For those of you that ship a couple beers to others, do u use UPS or FedEx? Do you tell them it's beer, or what do you say it is? I have some to ship but I'm a little nervous about it. Thanks

I use UPS only. But I also ship right from work. So it gets packed up nice and tight here and our shipping guy does all the rest. Then the UPS guy shows up at the end of the day and grabs that box with all the rest of the other stuff being sent out. I don't declare what's in it.

When I've shipped they almost never ask what I'm shipping. If they have I've said it's a gift and I don't want the person to know what I'm shipping. If pushed I say glass gifts. They usually don't ask so don't sweat it. I've shipped over a dozen times with ZERO problems.

I ship UPS almost exclusively but they both throw boxes around like garbage bags so triple wrap your bottles and use lots of packing materials with space between the bottles(each other) as well as space between the bottles and the edges of the box.
I've not had any problems so far. Guess it's a numbers game though as sooner or later, something will happen.

Funny story that happened locally.....my UPS driver got a message to meet another truck to take some packages and help him get his route done on time. The guy he had to help had to stop short and a box fell from the top of his truck on top of another box in. Seems one box had a heavy, glass vase that broke, went thru the box and into the box it fell on. The box it fell on had large bottles of perfume so the glass from the vase cracked ALL the perfume and it went all over the boxes in his truck.
Every box delivered had a strong smell of perfume and they got some funny looks that day.

I contacted both Fedex and UPS about shipping beer and they told me the following:

Shipping beer via our services is only allowed if a licensed agent of ours examines carefully both the packaging and the contents of the boxes prior to shipping. To facilitate this, we allow shipping of beer to our licensed agent for them to inspect.

Our licensed agent in your area is:

Rick Beer
99 Bottles of Beer in My Inspection Queue Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Once our agent has conducted a thorough inspection they may, or may not, release your beer for shipment.

Shipping beer via any other method is punishable by confiscation of your young wife - or - if no young wife your girlfriend, or, in the absence of either then confiscation of a daughter over 21.

Thank you for complying with our regulations.

"May or may not release your beer"
Sweetest job ever. I wonder what he does with the "unreleased" beer....

It all gets released eventually--some to the wastewater treatment plant, some to other destinations.

Ya sending me that beer ya owe me, JDub? :) thanks!

I've asked around. Basically, wrap each bottle individual bottle well, and pack them in garbage bags or ziploc bags separately so in case they break, they don't leak.

Thanks ya'll. I will just find some boxes, bubble wrap and wrap the poop outa them. I'll seal up the bottles with my food vac to retain any broken yeast samples... LOL. I owe some, hope I get the energy to send them out this week. I do have a problem though... the beer I'm supposed to send out... I bottled half, put the other half in a keg. The freaking keg is empty, and it's the best dayum beer I've ever made.... what to do... what to do... hmmmmm trying real hard to resist temptations......

Freight transport is the physical process of transporting commodities and merchandise goods and cargo. The term Shipping originally referred to transport by sea, but is extended in American English to refer to transport by land or air as well "Logistics", a term borrowed from the military environment, is also fashionably used in the same sense.

John, I've used both FedEx and UPS to ship, depending on which one seemed closer to my other errands. Never had a problem. Just take good care in packaging them, as Beer-lord says.

As far as declaring the contents, I've never actually had them ask, but there's a spot on the form for a description of the contents. Instead of writing "yeast samples", which they've apparently come to realize means "beer", I write "crafts". After all, I crafted this beer, didn't I? If that makes them think it's a homemade birdhouse, that's not my fault.

Just so everyone knows, I reported the reply above mine to the mods.

Bizarre first post, and there's a link in the sig to what I assume is an export company. Seems like a robot troll searching for prompts like "shipping" and "freight", if you ask me.

Let's keep the Borg pure!

if they ask, just tell 'em it's handicrafts. you wouldn't exactly be lying. :whistle:

"FedoraDave" post=374303 said:

Just so everyone knows, I reported the reply above mine to the mods.

Bizarre first post, and there's a link in the sig to what I assume is an export company. Seems like a robot troll searching for prompts like "shipping" and "freight", if you ask me.

Let's keep the Borg pure!

i looked at his other 3 posts. kinda strange, don't seem to be selling anything, just going around giving explanations of words. a "wanna be" wikipedia writer i guess.

I always use UPS. FedEx is a no no.

And - normally - I label my beer shipments as "Glass Art Project."