Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Monsteroyd

Coopers 3.3 lb can of extract in one LBK?

I have a quick question for the experts. Can I put 1 3.3 lb Coopers extract kit (plus water and yeast to 8.5 quarts) in one LBK, or will that be to much malt in too small amount of water. I think the 3,3 Coopers can is meant for 5 gals, so it would only be half the water. Would that give me a over flowing LBK once the yeast kicks in?

Thanks
Monty

I used to do it with their IPA all the time. It most likely will give an OG of around 1.045. If you look at the directions you are adding an incredible amount of sugar when doing 5 gallons. It it is an HME it is going to be hoppy

I did a 3/4 can of the TC IPA and it was great, and I did a full can of the stout and really like that in 1 LBK.

Up here (kingdom of Canadia) the full size Coopers cans are the same price as the Mr. B. small cans so why not? In some cases less, I was at Bass Pro Shops this weekend and they wanted $40 for a 2pack of std. Mr. B refills, locally I get two Coopers for $38.

Neil

I'm not a real hoppy type guy (wuss). Was the hops double? Are you a hop head? :)

Sorry been drinking my super devil dog (CAL+LME+Booster~6%) so I might not make sense. :silly:

I would worry that I just doubled the hops.

Monty

[attachment=13479]SuperDevilDogBeerLabel.jpg[/attachment]

qs7b0g.jpg

Just kidding. I've made beers the LBK with a 3.3 lb can of unhopped LME, as well as a 3.3 lb can of an old Mr. Beer seasonal brew that was hopped. This was in the time before I learned how to brew using all grain, so it made up most, if not all, of the fermentables in the brews. Not a bad thing when you're first starting out.

when I started brewing I thought most pilsners were too hoppy!! Now I love the hops. Please understand that a hoppy beer does not always mean bitter. I brew my take on Hopslam that is dry and really showcases the hop flavors. Mind that this is a big beer around 12%+. The trick is when & how you add the hops. There are so many flavors in hops. Kinda like grapes to wine. See another way we have wine beat!!

Here is what I am doing:

Monty

[attachment=13475]SuperDevilDogPour.JPG[/attachment]

Well, so far to me, hoppy has meant bitter, and that is what I don't like about some beers. The aroma, the flavor, yes, maybe, but the bitter? NO. Actually it is what makes dry hopping sound so attractive. Next few baby steps. Right now, the one thing I have noticed about making your own beer, is it works really well. ;) :side:

I did some Mr Beer Amber Ale for my perfect puppy, called Golden Grunty (when you hug this dog, she grunts, hence the name), but I can't drink it, too bitter, so I am leaving it till Xmas to see if conditioning works on it.

Also where the heck do you learn what hops taste like, what malty is, why bitter is needed for beer? To me this is a major learning experience, just relating what I am tasting to what is in the beer that makes it so.

Monty

[attachment=13478]GoldenGruntyBeerLabel_2013-05-20.jpg[/attachment]