Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Franklin Brewer

1/2 liter pet bottles

I am having trouble with my 1/2 liter bottles bulging on the bottom during the carb/conditioning phase. They bulge so much that they do not stand. They fall over. My one liter pet bottles occasionally bulge some at the bottom but never to the point that they won't stand. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have not had that happen but only have one brew that are bottled in the PET bottles. How much sugar are you adding per bottle and what type of sugar are you using?

Yup, I'm thinking it is over carbed too.

Let us know how primed them please.

Ive had that happen. Not a problem when theyre still in the box. A real pita when putting on a shelf in the fridge and hoping they stay upright. Id assumed I overcarbed a bit. No big deal. Next time. just use a bit less sugar.

i've used both 1 and .5 liter and didn't have bulging problems. +1 on the overcarb imo

Clearly either putting too much sugar in the bottles OR bottling way too soon. Are you waiting at least two weeks before bottling? For 1/2 liter bottles, Mr. Beer recommends 1 TEASPOON. Are you doing a TABLESPOON?

Most people use less than Mr. Beer says (although a teaspoon won't cause the issues you describe). I do 65% of Mr. Beer levels.

I use mr. Beer recommended amounts and yes I know the consensus on here is that is too much. I always ferment for three weeks. I was just curious if anybody else had noticed that the 1/2 liter pet bottles seemed to bulge worse than the liter bottles.

I had the same problem with a batch that I know was over-carbed (I followed Mr. B recipe exactly, then found the thread here that suggested cutting the priming sugar recommendations :ohmy: ). Never really got those bottles to return 100%...and they are a challenge when in the fridge door.

Next time, use a little less priming sugar...and to recover the bottle shape, I found warm-to-hottish water help soften the bottles before pressing out the bulges on the PET bottle...they will still have a bit of the lean to them, however...never quite "true" again!

Good luck!

"Photon Brewing" post=374654 said:

Ive had that happen. Not a problem when theyre still in the box. A real pita when putting on a shelf in the fridge and hoping they stay upright. Id assumed I overcarbed a bit. No big deal. Next time. just use a bit less sugar.

Yeah, I keep them in the box when conditioning at room temps so it is no big deal. I did the kolsch recipe from mr. Beer which used a liquid yeast that required lower than room temp fermentation temps so I put them in the fridge after a month at room temp conditioning to condition at lower temps for a while. I am worried about oxidation as they kept falling over. I think I finally got them all situated so that they are all standing. I have them in a mini fridge that isn't large enough for the box and the wife wouldn't be too happy with me taking up that much real estate in our kitchen fridge.

Yes, I've had that problem. I've also started to have some of them fail to hold carbonation. I eventually will replace all my PETs with glass bottles. They aren't worth the hassle.

"RickBeer" post=374674 said:

Clearly either putting too much sugar in the bottles OR bottling way too soon. Are you waiting at least two weeks before bottling? For 1/2 liter bottles, Mr. Beer recommends 1 TEASPOON. Are you doing a TABLESPOON?

Most people use less than Mr. Beer says (although a teaspoon won't cause the issues you describe). I do 65% of Mr. Beer levels.

A teaspoon did cause the issue I described.

"TimeTraveler" post=374694 said:

Yes, I've had that problem. I've also started to have some of them fail to hold carbonation. I eventually will replace all my PETs with glass bottles. They aren't worth the hassle.

Yeah, I bought some extra pet bottles when I started brewing, which was around Christmas, and I wish I hadn't now. I will do all glass when the plastic stop holding carbonation. The one liters do make bottling go faster though.

How many times have you used the bottles? I only did a few batches in PET bottles but the non-Mr. Beer PET bottles I purchased warped on the 3rd time I used them. It is part of what drove me to go with glass.

Franklin Brewer said

I use mr. Beer recommended amounts and yes I know the consensus on here is that is too much. I always ferment for three weeks. I was just curious if anybody else had noticed that the 1/2 liter pet bottles seemed to bulge worse than the liter bottles.

Yes I've had the same issue with the half liter MrBeer PET bottles and stopped using them. I now use green 7 Up bottles which never bulge at the bottom. I posted about this issue a while back. I don't over prime these and its just a design issue in my opinion. :shoot:

"Duff" post=374700 said:

How many times have you used the bottles? I only did a few batches in PET bottles but the non-Mr. Beer PET bottles I purchased warped on the 3rd time I used them. It is part of what drove me to go with glass.

It was the second time I used them. I will not be buying any more plastic.

Same for me, on the first or second use. 1/2 liters more than liters. I'm all glass now. If I'm experimenting with lowering or raising my priming sugar amounts I'll use 1 plastic bottle so I can squeeze test it, otherwise no more plastic for me.

Must be something specific to the half lliters. I've used 1 liter, 2 liter, 12 oz and 24 oz plastic without issues.

Never had that happen with the 750ML coopers pets. Never used the 16oz ones.

Unless the 16ozers are truly defective animals, I'd expect any batch that would budge the bottoms of my PETs to explode glass bottles.

"mashani" post=374757 said:

Never had that happen with the 750ML coopers pets. Never used the 16oz ones.

Unless the 16ozers are truly defective animals, I'd expect any batch that would budge the bottoms of my PETs to explode glass bottles.

I have never had a problem with glass. I usually batch prime those though and use slightly less sugar.

I have two sets of 1/2 liter bottles, purchased from Mr. Beer last Fall. I've used them all bottle priming, now use 1, sometimes 2 per batch doing batch priming to check firmness. Never had any issues.

My 1/2 liter bottles always bulge at the bottom also, but never to the point they can't stand in their own. They start leaning but never fall over. The MB recommended priming amount is definitely too much but I've found the Borg recommended about is too little for my preference. I end up splitting the difference.

LHBS had a sale on replacement caps so I picked up a bag of 60 last fall. I have 7 cases of glass but pipeline is larger so I still use my .5L and 1L. I think I have 2 cases of each. Out of any bottle(glass or plastic), my notes indicate the best all around beer comes from a 1L PET so I use them for my bigger beers with more complex flavoring.

Ive not had a problem with bulging on the 1L and had always used the MrB recommendations for bottle priming. Thought there levels were pretty much spot on for my liking. At least for the 1 L size. I do however batch prime now and had carbonated to style. It always came out to around 2oz so now I just use 2oz for everything except for my wheats.

"Photon Brewing" post=374816 said:

my notes indicate the best all around beer comes from a 1L PET

That's an interesting note. I prefer the 1/2 liter bottles just because the batches last longer. Plus one liter is kind of an abnormal amount to drink. I've got a stout conducting in the 1 liter bottles right now (my first use of them since my very first batch) so I'm interested to see how it turns out now.

I noticed it again most recently on a batch of Big Eds Red(old recipe). It came time to bottle and I only had a potpourri of bottles so I batch primed and filled whatever bottles I had. Filled a growler, (2) 1L, a few 24oz and some 20s. The 1L have been better than the 24s and 20s. Although I do have a giant mug that fits a 1L perfectly and I love using it so nostalgia could have played a part. Mind you, none of them were bad and in fact its a very good beer; just found the L to be more enjoyable again.

Plus one liter is kind of an abnormal amount to drink.

It's a perfectly lovely amount to drink when it comes to British milds and bitters. Gets you your 2 pints.

Had the same issue with 2 of the 16 out of a batch after a couple of weeks in the bottle. One Cooper's drop per each, and fairly light carbonation when tested; the bottom popped back with the pressure released, but likely weaker now for future use. I use them now to check carbonation in my swing tops.