Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
logdog

mrbeer and hops

i just had a question about hops and mrbeer ingredients. i read on here i think that you shouldnt boil hops in just water and you should boild your hops with dme or lme. but if i am just using mrbeer hme and ume how should i go about boiling the hops? should i boil them with the ume or what? thank you

Yep, boil 'em with the UME. If you're not using UME, boil 'em in Booster.

ericg wrote:

Yep, boil 'em with the UME. If you're not using UME, boil 'em in Booster.

I just got my first recipe with hops today. The instructions say boil water, then remove from heat and add HME, UME, and hops in hopsack and pour into keg. Eric, are you saying you disagree with instructions or am I not getting something? Thanks.

Boiling hops for 60 minutes adds bitterness to the beer. Boiling for 20 minutes adds flavor and adding the after turning off the heat adds aroma.

harlick187 wrote:

Boiling hops for 60 minutes adds bitterness to the beer. Boiling for 20 minutes adds flavor and adding the after turning off the heat adds aroma.

Right. And as for the in-between boil times? It depends on whom you ask. Sam Calagione (of Dogfish Head fame) thinks that you get something really special from every boil time of your hops. So he developed his famous continuous hopping procedure that seems to have everybody all excited.

The point is that Mr. Beer already adds bittering, flavoring, and aroma hops to their HME's (probably using more traditional brewing wisdom than Calagione's) and the vast majority of their recipes only call for additional aroma hops to be added after the boil. It makes sense, but what many of us have discussed on the forum is how we like to tweak the recipes a bit further by boiling additional hops for different amounts of time (just like Sam!!) to get more hop bitterness, flavor and/or aroma. And I think Eric is just saying that if you care to do that, you can boil the hops in UME (or booster). But he can speak for himself.