Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigT

prohibition in the house - must brew out side!

My wife has informed me that I am banded from brewing inside. So I must now brew outside. What is your ideal setup for outside brewing? I've heard turkey fryers work well.

I have been using a bayou classic SP 10 for over 2 years. You can get them on amazon for around $40 I think.

I brew in in the garage using a turkey fryer and prefer it to working inside. I plan to brew an Irish Red Ale on Monday. I live in Texas and this will be my first brew day with warmer weather, I hope it isn't to hot.

:cheers:

Fight fire with fire... tell her she can't do her favorite hobby in da house until u can. Or.... find a new wife.... just sayin.. LOL

i'm using a banjo lots faster than my stove is/was. also, as part of my revenge, i cook on our covered front pourch. with a hearty "Hi HO, Bite ME, away!" (with apologizes to the lone ranger series) ;)

Just cut her off from you-know-what. Yeah, that'll show her! :laugh:

I assume you mean "banned"? Or were you actually banded by her like a carrier pigeon to mark her property? :lol: Couldn't resist.

Brew at night when she and the kids are asleep. That's what I do.

I brew where I want. The idea that the Interior of our dwelling is under her absolute control is ludicrous. However, turning on air vents and cleaning up after yourself is fully expected, and reasonable.

I brew on Sunday mornings, when the War Department is out grocery shopping.

She doesn't appreciate the "smell" (I call it "aroma"; choice of words makes a big difference) of boiling wort. But she does support my hobby, as she knows it gives me satisfaction and pleasure, so we compromise. It's my kitchen just as much as it's hers, and I don't have the means to brew outside.

Opening windows and using the vent fan help.

Still, if she's going to spread her schoolwork (she's a teacher) all over the bed, including my side, in the evenings, I'm going to brew beer in the kitchen on the weekends.

This wasn't even discussed, BTW. It's just a given.

I brew inside on a gas stove; works well with small batches. I hear the occasional grumbling from my 19 year-old daughter, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. Since I do most of the cooking, the smell of wort is typically offset by the smell of a delicious meal later.

"bigT" post=374900 said:

My wife has informed me that I am banded from brewing inside. So I must now brew outside. What is your ideal setup for outside brewing? I've heard turkey fryers work well.

Kick her out, and convert the kitchen in to a brew room.

No one in my house likes the aroma of the boil either, but they are very supportive and say since it's only for an hour once or twice a month they are okay with it. I do have a SP 10 like Gymrat mentioned, but I only use it in the winter here (Lost Wages, NV) since summers are in the 110F and above :sweat: :sweat: .

I try to be as considerate as possible and SWMBO appreciates that and is thusly very understanding. Have you tried to open all the windows and get a fan blowing out? I have found that the more circulation I get going the fewer complaints about the smell. You may have to go with extract brewing until you can get the burner and the setup for outside.

This weekend was my first outside brew in decades. I have a covered area outside but it still gets hot in the summer and my burner makes it even hotter as the patio roof keeps the heat in.

I use a popular burner mostly only sold in my area for those of us who boil crabs, shrimp and crawfish. It looks pretty much handmade but it's basically just iron.
I do have a more well known kind that I was given years ago and it's pretty much the same as the turkey frying ones you see in Lowe's or Home Depot. It will work just as well.

I still plan to brew inside but depending on my recipe and pot capacity, will be doing both.

Hmm...................... very simple solution to that. Take over the cooking and claim the kitchen as your domain and ban her from it. It works very well for me, but then again I have always done the cooking. Seriously with it going on summer I would rather brew outside. I would go with a banjo burner. Less chance of scorching, more even heating (the whole bottom of the kettle vs a single ring) more energy efficient.

Brew a few batches of hot sauce and the fam will long for those days when you just brewed beer. :laugh:

Well the wife has been supportive with the beer brewing and drinking. But the brew before last stunk the whole house. Brewing outside won't be a big deal, I will. Call it a compromise.

Now my EX-wife didn't like drinking at all. I will repeat EX-WIFE. I even told her once she drove me to drink, which I later realized wasn't a bad things.

My wife complained about it and was telling me to do it outside.

I stated that if she wanted to dictate what I could and could not cook in Kitchen I will relinquish all cooking duties (I do all the cooking in the house) and she as a stay at home mom can do it all.

She never stated I can't brew beer in kitchen again.

My wife didn't mind the mashing as much as the boil portion of my brew day.
Since I wasn't able to get a good boil on the glass top anyway, I moved to propane on the patio to give her a break.
I've already told her I will do the boil outside but had trouble keeping consistent temps for the mash outside, so will move that back in.