Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
asnider

Wee Amber Ale

Looking for feedback on this recipe. It's a bit of a frankenbrew, in that it's mostly designed to use up some "leftover" ingredients that I've got lying around.

Thoughts from the :borg: ?

Wee Amber Ale
-------------
Brewer: Adam Snider
Style: American Amber Ale
Batch: 2.00 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.033 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 36 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.008
Alcohol by Volume: 3.2%
Alcohol by Weight: 2.5%

Ingredients
-----------
Amber DME 1.23 lb, Extract, Extract
Light DME 0.25 lb, Extract, Extract

Kent Goldings (U.K.) - Aroma and dry hop intensely resiny, candy-like, sweet, slightly floral and spicy 0.50 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) - Aroma and dry hop intensely resiny, candy-like, sweet, slightly floral and spicy 0.50 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Sterling - Zpicy, herbal hop with a hint of citrus. Can be used as both a bittering and aroma hop0.25 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes

Maltodextrin 2.00 unit, Other, Unit = 1oz
Muntons Standard 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 64°-68° F 6 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Hop addition at 0 minutes = dry hops at 14 days in LBK
Maltodextrin is to improve mouthfeel.

Batch Notes:
n/a

Just bumping this up, in case people missed it earlier (I posted it in the wrong forum, originally, but asked the mods to move it over here).

Nothin wrong w/ a frankenbrew! I did an amber ale on Easter in much the same fashion, just trying to use up leftover ingredients. Never used sterling hops before, but goldings are awesome. Let us know how it turns out!

I like sterlings, based on the past brews I've used them in, but I'm curious how they'll work in an amber.

I have a very minor comment and a question.

You made the batch for 2 gal. so I'm assuming you will fill the LBK to the 2 gal. mark, not the 8.5 qt. mark above it. If you fill it to 8.5 qts. you will get an OG of 31, approx. Not much difference but you are making a small beer so it may be a concer. Just pointin it out.

I have never used malto-dextrin. I've thought of it when making extract ales in the past because I had trouble getting full body ales. For the record, the MB batches I've made have had great mouthfeel and my old AG batches had great mouthfeel. The question is have you used malto-dextrin and is 2 oz. enough for a LBK size batch? I really have no idea.

Yeah, I'd fill it to the 2 gallon mark. I figured anything higher than that might end up diluting it a bit too much, since it is already a small beer.

I've used malto-dextrin once before (in conjunction with dextrose, as a substitute for Booster in a recipe that called for it) and used approximately 2oz in that batch. It seemed to work well. From the bit of research I've done about malto-dextrin, it appears that 1oz per gallon is a good ration, but if anyone has different advice, I'm happy to listen!

Although, I'm looking at the 500g (roughly 1lb) bag that I bought and it says to use the entire bag in a 5 gallon batch. So, perhaps I should up the amount of malto-dextrin that I use after all.

Also, I had the AA% for the hops wrong. Here's the updated recipe:

Wee Amber Ale
-------------
Batch: 2.00 gal Extract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Bitterness: 33 IBU

Ingredients
-----------

Kent Goldings (U.K.) - Aroma and dry hop intensely resiny, candy-like, sweet, slightly floral and spicy 0.50 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes
Sterling - Zpicy, herbal hop with a hint of citrus. Can be used as both a bittering and aroma hop 0.25 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) - Aroma and dry hop intensely resiny, candy-like, sweet, slightly floral and spicy 0.50 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Maltodextrin 7.00 unit, Other, Unit = 1oz
Muntons Standard 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature

Range: 64°-68° F 6 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Maltodextrin is to improve body and mouthfeel.

Batch Notes:
Hops not very fresh; use fresher hops if future batches are brewed.

Just a few more minor tweaks on this one. I decided to use 0.50oz of the sterling hops (to finish what I had left), instead of just 0.25oz. In retrospect, I probably should have used the sterling for my bittering hop and the golding for my flavour, but hindsight is 20/20. I enjoy the flavour of sterling, so I think this will still turn out OK.

I also used Coopers Ale Yeast, not the Muntons Standard. I mixed up what I had on hand. But I think the Coopers yeast will do fine for this brew.

Here's the updated and "final" recipe for this batch.

Wee Amber Ale
-------------
Batch: 2.00 gal Extract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Bitterness: 38 IBU

Ingredients
-----------

Sterling - Zpicy, herbal hop with a hint of citrus. Can be used as both a bittering and aroma hop 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes

Maltodextrin 7.00 unit, Other, Unit = 1oz
Coopers Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 65°-75° F 7 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Maltodextrin is to improve body and mouthfeel.

Batch Notes:
Hop pellets used weren't very fresh, since this was a "use up the ingredients" batch. Fresher hops will yield a better result if this brew is attempted again in the future.

Dry hopped today. I decided to go nuts and use up what I had left of the East Kent Goldings, since they're getting old and losing some of their potency. That means I've dry hopped with a full ounce of pellets for a 2 gallon batch. That should give me some really nice hop aroma. I don't think it'll be overkill since, like I said, the hops aren't as fresh as would be ideal.

I have used maltodextrin a few times but have had a hard time figuring out how much to use. How much to use seems to be affected by other variables in the recipe, which I haven't sorted out yet. 2 oz may or may not be enough. My advice is to try 2 oz like you were considering, and adjust it in similar future recipes if 2 oz is not enough.

"Foothiller" post=380351 said:

I have used maltodextrin a few times but have had a hard time figuring out how much to use. How much to use seems to be affected by other variables in the recipe, which I haven't sorted out yet. 2 oz may or may not be enough. My advice is to try 2 oz like you were considering, and adjust it in similar future recipes if 2 oz is not enough.

I already went ahead and used 7oz, instead, based on the instructions on the package. We'll see how it turns out, I suppose.

Note that maltodextrin is almost unfermentable, so 7 oz may have an effect on your FG that you may or may not want. But I can't say that 7 oz would be wrong. It will be interesting to hear your outcome, so please let us know how it turns out.

"Foothiller" post=380354 said:

Note that maltodextrin is almost unfermentable, so 7 oz may have an effect on your FG that you may or may not want. But I can't say that 7 oz would be wrong. It will be interesting to hear your outcome, so please let us know how it turns out.

I'm aware of that. I've only used it once before, so I'm experimenting. We'll see how it goes, I guess. This batch should be done fermenting in the next few days, so I should be able to report back soon.

I've cracked my first bottle of this and I'm drinking it now.

It's a bit lighter than I'd want for an amber, but I'm not too surprised given it's frankenbrew status. It's not as flavourful as I was hoping, but the mouthfeel is quite good for such a small beer. I think I might use an ounce less maltodextrin next time, but overall it helped add some body to a "light" brew.

Unfortunately, though, there's just not much flavour. What I do get is well balanced, but there just isn't much to this one. Maybe after it warms up a bit I'll be able to detect more.

Somehow I missed this thread, but it's weird that you don't have much flavor with the half oz of sterling and a full 1oz dry hop of goldings. Just how old were they?

Although IMHO it's really hard to overhop with Goldings.

FWIW, I find 3oz to 4oz of MaltoDextrin is pretty good in an LBK batch, if I'm not using some carafoam or crystal malt or other body building malt.

The Sterling pellets were pretty old, but I don't remember just how old. They hadn't yet taken on the Parmesan cheese odour of stale hops, but they were definitely not fresh anymore.

The Goldings were a few weeks old, but since they were mainly used for bittering and dry hoping they wouldn't really add much to the flavour profile (they definitely did seem to give this beer a nice aroma, though, which I didn't mention in my previous post).