Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dibs

Vial Explosion, didn't sanitize

This was my first time pitching a vial and i shook it like my life depended on it. It was a White Labs Irish Ale yeast and it fizzed out of the cap. Some of it got on the table, but i would say a good 3/4 of it got in the keg.

What i'm worried about is that I didn't sanitize the vial and the yeast was pretty much oozing around the vial and dropping into the keg. What are the chances my St Patty's day stout is infected?

once the beer is bottled, just ship it to me and I'll let you know if it's infected. I'll let you pay shipping and handling. I like glass bottles.

..... you should be fine. just yanking your chain. :borg:

I wouldn't worry about it. The same thing has happened to me, with no ill effects.

And you'll know better next time. Open those things slowly and gently.

Thank you both! I have just started to get more daring with my brews as i have only been doing this for a few months. This place is so filled with great info i barely have to post. Wish i would have started this hobby years ago.

You and me, both, man. Three-and-a-half years in, and sometimes I think about all the years I wasted NOT brewing my own beer!

The great thing is, you can progress pretty quickly in this hobby, and before you know it, you'll be formulating your own all-grain recipes and winning prizes in homebrewing competitions!

Well the two biggest hitters on the forum have answered your question.

All I can add is WELCOME :chug:

Welcome aBorg, Dibs! :chug:

I have yet to open a white labs yeast vial that didn't overflow, regardless of how careful I do so. I just make sure to sanitize the vial each and every time, prior to opening. Then I employ the "open-close-open-close method" to vent. Despite my best efforts, they always overflow to some extent.

:chug:

3 1/2 years in and I've only every used dry yeast. My last batch that I just brewed, a brown with maris otter, brown malt, and pale choc malt, I used red star bakers yeast. Heh heh.

I really out to try a good liquid yeast.