Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ser Stein

Mango Pale Ale Recipe

Wanting to make a Mango Pale Ale out of this timid looking West Coast Pale Ale HME (no longer sold). Unfortunately the WCPA is only 2.3% abv. Here is what I'm thinking.

WCPA HME
1 packet of LME - Pale
15 oz of mango pureed and pasteurized (by me, I live in Hawai`i, so we have plenty of fresh mangoes).
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (finishing)

I think that should kick it up to at least 4.4% abv - good for a hot day. :sweat:

The only question is when should I dry hop? Right after fermentation? Kind of scared to open the fermentor.

Any other comments or suggestions would be most welcomed.

Was just told by someone at Mr. Beer in chat to not add hops at all as it would overpower the mango flavor.

I dont see a problem. Your hop addition is a aroma addition, granted smell and taste are intertwined. You may get a strong citrus, mango up front but if anything I would keep the hops and cut back on the pureed mango.

Aloha bruddah!

The WCPA is weak on taste IMO. By adding more malt and then mango it's going to be pretty sweet so you might consider doing a 20-minute boil with the hops in the LME to add a bit of flavor to offset the sweetness.

Then, add the mangoes after primary fermentation is nearly completion. I'd go with a week.

It's easy: Just sanitize your blender and a paper towel. When ready, remove the lid, gently pour in the mango, wipe the lid with the wet/sanitized paper towel and then replace it.

All told, the lid is off for about 20 seconds. Assuming you don't sneeze in the LBK, you'll be fine.

Are you suggesting that I throw in the mango after the fermentation period to retain the mango flavor? Wonder what it taste like if I did it before. Obviously it would lose it's sweetness but I wonder if it would retain any of its resinous flavor or aroma. Hmmm.

I think you might have to dry hop that with Cilantro. I just love the way Mango and Cilantro go together :)

I'm still figuring out whether I like fruity beers or not, but mango pale ale sounds really good to me. Please give updates!

I think I understand the 'weak' sense. It will provide some fermentables but its not offering a lot of flavor. In a reipe like you have you want to pay attention to the malt/adjunct ratio. Basically you want 70% of your alcohol to come from malt. Not the fruit or any other adjunct. With the LME, at a glance I think your ok. I think u should keep the hops in the recipe, whether its finishing or a flavor addition like Kealia stated.

Yes, you're right. I'm trying to be aware of the adjunct to malt ratio.

WCPA HME - 2.3%
LME Smooth - 1.1%
15 oz of mango puree ~ 1% (this is a total shot in the dark).

If anyone can give me the estimated ABV of the mango puree that would be helpful.

Also, by weak I just really mean flavor/body.

This recipe actually sounds pretty darn good! I love mangoes, and I love fruit beers, but the WCPA on its own really didn't have much going for it in terms of flavor. These additions would be great, I think!

As for the ABV that would come from the mango puree, you would need to know the extract potential of it, in points per pound per gallon. If (just throwing out some random number, not stating what the actual potential is because I don't know) it's 1.040, then a pound of mango puree in a gallon of wort, with your typical Mr.Beer yeast that likely ferments (attenuates) 75%, the final gravity from the mango would be 1.010, yielding 3.9% ABV just from that.

Mangos are more than 90% sugar as far as their carbohydrate content is concerned, so I think a little bit will go a long way. Hope this helps!

Just read in the Joy of Homebrewing to go easy on the hops or it will clash with the fruit aromatics and flavor maybe only 1/4 oz of Cascades for aroma/flavor?

"Ser Stein" post=376061 said:

Just read in the Joy of Homebrewing to go easy on the hops or it will clash with the fruit aromatics and flavor maybe only 1/4 oz of Cascades for aroma/flavor?

I've heard the same, more to the order of don't use hops with fruit if u can avoid it. Sorry, can't quote source, its been some time since I read that, somewhere in the space-time continuim of my life. :blush: