Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ckd77

infected?

I go to check on my northwest pale ale snd see this. It looks like dry candle wax floating on top. Anyone ever seen this?

Yeast colonies floating on top. No issue. FYI, you should not be removing the lid to check your beer. Only remove it to add fruit for example, and then very quickly (like 10 seconds). Leaving it open allows gas to escape and air to enter, and that is a recipe for infection.

Most likely not an infection. Looks normal to me, just some floating yeast colonies. If you've got an infection you will know it. If not by looks then certainly by taste.

Looks good smells like cider, but tastes very bitter.

Bitterness is to be expected with a pale ale. Cider smell is just green beer. Let it ride. Ferment 18-21 days then bottle and let em sit 4-6 weeks at room temp then put 1 in fridge for 2 days and try. Flavor will be vastly different as the fermentation and carb/condition process moves forward

OK thank you I will bottle on Saturday that will be 3 weeks fermenting.

I asked a similar question recently and I was calmed down as well. I bottled the beer since then and it tastes fine.
Here is the pic I took (through the keg)

Ya kinda looks like mine, and I know I should have not opened the lid.

By coincidence, I'll be bottling northwest pale ale Saturday as well. I hope we're both pleased in about 6 weeks! :chug:

I'll be the lone voice of doom. There are infections that look like wax, and they result in sour beer. But your only choices are dump it or bottle it. Bottle it, it may be ok, or it may get better. It won't make you sick in any case. I bottled a batch that had a waxy coating. Some of it is sour. Some is very good.

Ya it's an infection :( . I looked in with a flashlight and now it has a lot of grey looking I don't know what they are, and a very sour smell almost like bad milk. :sick:

Why are you looking in with a flashlight? You said you were bottling today. You should be testing gravity with a hydrometer, or if you don't have one taste a sample to see if it's sweet (it shouldn't be), then bottle it.

If you don't know of a specific mistake you made, you shouldn't assume anything.

I would not recommend putting on a wetsuit and snorkeling in it either... :laugh:

I went to go bottle and noticed that whatever was in there had grown. So I took a taste, and it tasted and smelled like rotten milk.

i am sure i have an infected batch. i bottle in PETs, when i open a bottle the beer foams out, completely.
i start with a quart glass, fill that up with foam and use what i need to to get all in a glass.

once the foam settles it is time to drink, not a bad beer, i am bias.
the beer has character.

brewon

If I had a beer that tasted like rotten milk, I would probably bottle it anyway and see where it goes in a couple months. If u have spare bottles, give it a try, I've had beers look like your pic and in the end, they conditioned fine, tasted ok. If when u taste test it and u feel the need to puke, well, dump it.

I would do an extremely throurogh cleanising/disinfecting of that LBK. Run a couple cheap/easy batches through it. If it does it again, well, make it a flour pot for daisies.