Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jsherman

Sara is My Honey Ale

This was my first stab at using hops, and I figured the CAL HME from my scratch 'n' dent kit would be a good canvas.

1 Booster
2 oz honey
1 packet Columbus hops
1 CAL HME

I dissolved the booster and honey, then brought it to a boil. I then added 1/2 the hops and boiled for ~10 minutes, and added the rest right before turning off the heat and stirring in the HME.

This was born on 5-9 and I tasted after 2 days cold crashing (5-31) and it was delicious, the wife loved the sample also. Big hit of orange flavor then finishing with a mild bitterness. I will bottle tomorrow, as I have had a longggggg day.

1 question, how much, if any, does the hop's citrus flavor fade or mellow with conditioning? I loved the strong orange flavor of pre-bottling, but a milder citrus flavor would be great also.

It sounds like you have a tasty brew! The hop flavor will fade over time, but that will take months. Don't hesitate to enjoy it now, but it will still be tasty several months from now. Take notes about your observations, for comparison over time. Some new flavors can develop over time. For example, last night I had one of my last bottles of an amber ale with some Belgian character, and instead of just fading over time, it had more Belgian-like flavor than I had noticed a few months ago.

It looks really good, I will moniter how this turns out, I have a can of CAL I don't know what to do with yet. From my understanding the CAL for some reason needs a long conditioning time, which will only lengthen with the addition of the booster and honey. Good looking recipe though!

"JimH" post=376881 said:

It looks really good, I will moniter how this turns out, I have a can of CAL I don't know what to do with yet. From my understanding the CAL for some reason needs a long conditioning time, which will only lengthen with the addition of the booster and honey. Good looking recipe though!

your right. it took mine 6 weeks to lose the "green" taste.fwiw

This was my first cold crash batch ever (full 3 days in the fridge). And wow is it clear. And I threw the hops in commando (don't have a muslin sack yet)>. I will be cold crashing from now on, especially since I don't use a wand for bottling. Nearly carbed now, and it will have nearly 5 weeks on it for its namesake's (my wife) birthday.

SWMBO and I just did a tasting with the extra trub bottle (bottled 6-1-13 after 3 day cold crash) , And wow was it good! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Big grapefruit hit, very refreshing, good carb. The first beer I've had hold a good head.

I want this to be the first beer I remake, and refine. I have 3 LBK's so 2 can cycle through different styles and tastes. I want to master this beer.

Please keep in mind I want to master extract brewing and its variables before I play with steeping and mashing and all of that. So if you have those types of suggestions PLEASE give them, but they will be filed away until I am ready to expand my techniques.

I think I should probably replace booster with one of the LME's. Pale or golden. I know this isn't a wheat beer, but maybe it would work.

I have some centennial hops on order, from a little research they should push me more towards citrus less herbal/piney?

Sara...Honey Ale...for SWMBO...

Are you my doppelganger? I made a honey ale for my SaraWMBO not too long ago! Different recipe, though. Your recipe sounds tasty and super simple. I'll have to try it out sometime.

It'll probably need a lot of conditioning time, though, with all those adjuncts. My honey ale took about 8 weeks before it was truly an enjoyable beer (prior to that point there was a noticeable "harsh" taste and a bit too much cloying sweetness).

"jsherman" post=376394 said:

This was my first stab at using hops, and I figured the CAL HME from my scratch 'n' dent kit would be a good canvas.

1 Booster
2 oz honey
1 packet Columbus hops
1 CAL HME

I dissolved the booster and honey, then brought it to a boil. I then added 1/2 the hops and boiled for ~10 minutes, and added the rest right before turning off the heat and stirring in the HME.

This was born on 5-9 and I tasted after 2 days cold crashing (5-31) and it was delicious, the wife loved the sample also. Big hit of orange flavor then finishing with a mild bitterness. I will bottle tomorrow, as I have had a longggggg day.

1 question, how much, if any, does the hop's citrus flavor fade or mellow with conditioning? I loved the strong orange flavor of pre-bottling, but a milder citrus flavor would be great also.

This is a nice simple recipe. I have a question about the hops. I was under the impression that you had to have some malt in the boil for the hop oils to 'cling' to. Did the hop boiling at 10 and 0 add any hop flavor and aroma? Or is it too early to tell yet?

Just curious. I did a similar version w/o the hops and honey and with an added Pale LME pack. It was a big hit with SWMBO as well.

Monty

"Monsteroyd" post=382125 said:

"jsherman" post=376394 said:

1 Booster
2 oz honey
1 packet Columbus hops
1 CAL HME

This is a nice simple recipe. I have a question about the hops. I was under the impression that you had to have some malt in the boil for the hop oils to 'cling' to. Did the hop boiling at 10 and 0 add any hop flavor and aroma? Or is it too early to tell yet?

Just curious. I did a similar version w/o the hops and honey and with an added Pale LME pack. It was a big hit with SWMBO as well.

Monty

Apparently the booster will give the hops something to grab onto. I dissolved the booster in water before starting the boil.

I just tasted it last night after less than the borg recommended time (bottled 6-1, tasted 6-25) because I made an extra trub 1/2 bottle.

The beer had a very powerful grapefruit flavor with just a tiny piney bite at the end. Perhaps the strong citrus flavor offset any cidery tastes from the booster, as this tasted really good already. Planning on waiting for the wife's birthday on 7-7 to open the next one.

I had actually planned on remaking this one with pale LME next time.

Edit: Also big time aroma on this one.

My father in law (who got me started making beer) commented that this recipe tasted like a summer belgian beer. The Columbus hops gave enough citrus and spicy/pine flavor that he was suprised to learn I had not added orange peel or coriander.

the only change I would make is to drop the booster & honey. Use a candi sugar or syrup. Unfortunately very little of the honey flavor will remain after a primary fermentation. The best way to get honey flavor is with honey malt using a partial mash or all grain. My brewing specialty is high ABV Belgiums. A good Belgium yeast can supply some of the citrus notes.

"haerbob3" post=383227 said:

the only change I would make is to drop the booster & honey. Use a candi sugar or syrup. Unfortunately very little of the honey flavor will remain after a primary fermentation. The best way to get honey flavor is with honey malt using a partial mash or all grain. My brewing specialty is high ABV Belgiums. A good Belgium yeast can supply some of the citrus notes.

I want to swap out the booster for LME, would golden or pale be better?

The honey was not for flavor, I heard that it contributes to a crisp finish.

Tell me about these candi syrup and syrups what can they do for my beer?

"jsherman" post=383229 said:

"haerbob3" post=383227 said:

I want to swap out the booster for LME, would golden or pale be better?

Match it to the color of the beer you are brewing

The honey was not for flavor, I heard that it contributes to a crisp finish.

As would table sugar for a fraction of the cost. The whole point of adding these types of sugar is to dry out a beer == crisp finish

Tell me about these candi syrup and syrups what can they do for my beer?

This type of sugar adds flavors & color from the carameliztion process it goes through

Aha! Thank you haerbob3!

I just read so many posts about not wanting to chase abv with sugar, and I never saw any mention of it basically doing the same job as honey.

Since I am not worried about ABV on this one, I will use sugar I guess.

:charlie:

just remember any time you use an adjunct you need to increase the conditioning time. Also beware that sugar thins the body too. Make sure you study the malt/adjunct ratio sticky. It is very easy to ruin a beer by adding sugar. I would follow proven recipes at first till you get the feel of this type of brewing. Do you have brewing software? Can you do a steep or partial mash? I would highly recommend using a yeast starter and adding the sugar after the primary fermentation

"haerbob3" post=383316 said:

just remember any time you use an adjunct you need to increase the conditioning time. Also beware that sugar thins the body too. Make sure you study the malt/adjunct ratio sticky. It is very easy to ruin a beer by adding sugar. I would follow proven recipes at first till you get the feel of this type of brewing. Do you have brewing software?

I have QBrew

Can you do a steep or partial mash?

Not yet, trying not to get too far ahead of myself. Plus I work a demanding job and have a 7 month old, so I like the convience of extract brewing. My next step will be to start using DME's instead of booster or LME's

I would highly recommend using a yeast starter and adding the sugar after the primary fermentation

I actually rehydrated yeast for the 1st time for my Bierre de Saison refill. It didn't seem to make much difference.