Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnSand

First All Grain

Doing it right now. The mash is in the oven. It's a Maris Otter/Cascade Smash. Nervous and excited.

Awesome man! Just remember:
Take your time, you'll do fine.
In a rush, beers a bust.

The fun's just starting. It's easier than you think but as mentioned, patience plays a huge part.
Let us know how it turns out.

The bad thing about all grain is that you never want to go back to extract. :lol: Not really....I've done a few extract batches since my first all grain and I'm sure I'll do a few more also as I still have some MrB refills on hand.

Good luck with everything!!!

Rick

Good luck and as others have said, take your time and double check your steps!!

Look forward to hearing a good report! :banana: :banana:

Good for you. I just did my second AG batch yesterday. It is both exciting and unnerving to know that the outcome is in your hands. You will do well if you just follow the guidelines of the Borg.

:borg:

Well, it's in the lbk.
Everything went ok. I had brewersfriend and The Everything Homebrew Book open to the steps. I came out a little short on wort (surprised) and quite high on efficiency. I used 60% as an estimate when creating the recipe.

Title: Jack's Ale
Author: John Sand

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.17%
IBU (tinseth): 38.89
SRM (morey): 6.74

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (100%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Cascade for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 6.2, IBU: 25.99)
0.5 oz - Cascade for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 6.2, IBU: 12.9)

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 12 qt

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Smash Brew.
Check relationship between boil time and efficiency.

But my OG reading was 1.077, giving 82% efficiency. I did grind a bit fine. Or the kid at the store weighed it wrong! :))
Anyway, it's fermenting.
Thank you for your support.

Great job...and you picked a really easy recipe for your first AG. That's the way to do it. The ease of the recipe lets you concentrate on the process. Well done!!!

Congrats on first all-grain!!! It's a lot of fun being able to brew beer this way because it's a more involved process... and it's cheaper to buy grains than extract!

True. I'm glad I did it. But I paid for it in time: four hours vs about one for HME.

Yeah but the all grain - partial mash brews are much better when all's said & done. I just got a burner & brewed in the driveway yesterday. It was great. In my fermentor bubbling like crazy today. :barman:

Glad your first all grain went well :cheers: i have 4 all grain and i must say they are my best brews i have made yet :party:

Thank you! I'm hopeful. I've only tried three of my extract batches, they were so-so. Two others are in bottles and one in lbk.
Pipeline!

All-grain is much more time-consuming, but also much more worth it, IMO. I love the control I have over the final product. And they just taste better (not a knock on extract, but that's just been my experience).

I still do extract for convenience. I get a Homebrew Club order every two months, and I'm always very pleased with the results. My pipeline wouldn't be as big or have as much variety otherwise, and that's what I like. So I'm going to continue doing both extract and AG batches. It's the Yin and Yang of homebrewing!

Congratulations on taking the big step. You won't regret it!

OK, bottled today. I've realised that my high OG was due to insufficient water, so I made a stronger beer. It started at 1.076(!) fermented to 1.014 (!). But it tastes good! I also experimented at bottling. Ten 12oz bottles straight, nine 15oz swing tops with 1/3 cup water and Coopers carb drops. I hope the 15s come out as the original recipe intended.
Still very excited!