Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elko brewer

bottling bucket

ok so I got my bottling bucket today and would like to us it for fermenting 5gal batches as well. but when I looked at the lid I see no gasket in the lid, it is drilled for a fermentation lock so that was a plus but my question is should the lid have a gasket . I put the lid on the bucket and it is a tight fit. but with no gasket makes me worry a little bit about contamination.

My ale pales don't have gaskets, they are tight as heck though.

thanks John, that's what this bucket is Ale Pale. they are tight almost ripped a few fingers off trying to remove the lid.

"Elko brewer" post=377168 said:

thanks John, that's what this bucket is Ale Pale. they are tight almost ripped a few fingers off trying to remove the lid.

No probs. Mine r still tight'r than heck after a couple years use.

Jim-Jim-Jim.... did u just call me a tool??????

joking
[attachment=13649]poke.gif[/attachment]

no everytime i've taken off fg lids bare handed i've broke them. when i bought my ale pail i bought this

[attachment=13650]tool.jpg[/attachment]

"Jim Johnson" post=377194 said:

no everytime i've taken off fg lids bare handed i've broke them. when i bought my ale pail i bought this

That thing looks absulutely evil, I shoud get one to use as my septar...... :silly:

A tight seal is really not required on a bottling bucket, since the beer isn't in there long. I usually just place the lid on loosely, just to keep buggers out.

You're correct, Larry, but the OP said he wanted to use it for fermenting 5-gallon batches, as well as for priming.

Be careful with that tool. If not done properly you can rip or tear the lid getting it off. I've read the Midwest forums and that was a common complaint though it appeared they made good on replacing damaged covers.

I have 2 Ale Pales with no seal and one that is a hybid meaning it's for wine or beer and it has a seal. Now that sucker is next to impossible to remove without the tool.

"packerduf" post=377203 said:

A tight seal is really not required on a bottling bucket, since the beer isn't in there long. I usually just place the lid on loosely, just to keep buggers out.

Ever hear the one about the walrus at a Tupperware party, looking for a tight seal?

I use Ale Pails for bottling buckets and fermenting buckets and have a few cut fingers to show for it too, they don't need any gaskets and they are air tight. All four of mine have spigots installed in them so they can double as a fermentor or a bottling bucket.

"FedoraDave" post=377297 said:

You're correct, Larry, but the OP said he wanted to use it for fermenting 5-gallon batches, as well as for priming.

My apologies for not paying attention. :blush:

Only 2 downsides to spigots on fermenters is 1. good place for goobers to hide, and 2. possibility of one beginning to leak. I used my bottling bucket for a fermenter for about a year without issues. But now I use regular ale pails without spigots.

"Jim Johnson" post=377194 said:

I bought one of these a while back. They are absolutely the only way to go.

I did my first 5 gal in a bucket without a tight lid and no airlock or hole.

After a bit of research I went with the theory that if I don't disturb it, the CO2 will dominate, and the lid will let any pressure out ...which is hopefully the O2 initially until it's all CO2 under the lid. How would what I did be any different from the way a Mr. Beer keg works?

The batch turned out, even with a dry hop :banana:

...my original plan was to do it like this for 2 weeks then move to a carboy, but I decided to try keeping things simple for now. I'm afraid that the more I handle the beer the more likely I am to get an infection. It spent 3 weeks in the bucket, then went to the bottling bucket and into bottles.

"packerduf" post=377356 said:

"FedoraDave" post=377297 said:

My apologies for not paying attention. :blush:
Well, just watch it next time! :P