Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gwan

WCPA

How much honey can I use when using only the extract and a booster pack?

What did you have in mind?
Mr beer says that one cup of honey will add .9 percent abv to a mr beer size batch. So one extract + booster + One cup of honey will yeild a beer of 4.6 percent abv. Which is a tasty number indeed.

gwan wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

What did you have in mind?
Mr beer says that one cup of honey will add .9 percent abv to a mr beer size batch. So one extract + booster + One cup of honey will yeild a beer of 4.6 percent abv. Which is a tasty number indeed.

gwan wrote:

Much more than that in this recipe and you risk a pretty watery (although higher alcohol) beer.

I ended up using 1/3 of a cup of honey just because I didn't want the brew to get watery. Next one I will use half a cup. Although my next batch is going to be the tripel tippel. Which I have booster for but am thinking of going the honey route as well. I haven't decided yet and I have another thirteen days and seven hours until I can even think about making my next brew.

My wife loves honey brews. Try using a can of UME or 1 - 1.5 lb. DME instead of booster with 1 cup honey and HME.

I asked the brewmaster by phone a few months ago about adding honey to the standard wheat refill. She said to use 2/3 cup honey and only use 1/2 pouch of booster. Turned out a little thin, but very tasty.

yeah norman1 it sounds like the ratios were a bit off. That's why i wanted to play it safe and use 1/3 of a cup. I don't know why, maybe it was how huge my wife's eyes got when I was pouring in the honey. Though anythnig over 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup sounded like a lot. Mind you I would love the beer made no matter what though I wanted to be cautious.

BTW it's day 2 of the fermantation period and I am dieing every minute as it is because I still have to bottle it and than wait again. Though I get to use my new pouring wand I got with the kit I still hate have to wait. I find myself trying to find cheap swing top bottles anywhere I can. So far the I have found blue 34 oz bottles (swing top) for like $35 however they were sold out~ :ohmy: MB must be popular :blush:

gwan wrote:

yeah norman1 it sounds like the ratios were a bit off. That's why i wanted to play it safe and use 1/3 of a cup. I don't know why, maybe it was how huge my wife's eyes got when I was pouring in the honey. Though anythnig over 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup sounded like a lot. Mind you I would love the beer made no matter what though I wanted to be cautious.

BTW it's day 2 of the fermantation period and I am dieing every minute as it is because I still have to bottle it and than wait again. Though I get to use my new pouring wand I got with the kit I still hate have to wait. I find myself trying to find cheap swing top bottles anywhere I can. So far the I have found blue 34 oz bottles (swing top) for like $35 however they were sold out~ :ohmy: MB must be popular :blush:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4724

they're 16 oz but hey. pretty cheap.

how often do you have to replace the gaskets?