Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DetroitBrew

411 on Liquid Yeast

I have brewed 8 batches of beer now and only used the basic yeast from mr beer that is found under the lid of your malt extract can. Im now stepping up and going to start liquid yeast. I know the yeast must be stored in the fridge. I saw a video online that you pop the inner pack and then let sit for 2-3 days. Does that sound right about how long to let the yeast sit before using it? And if you let it sit, where does it sit? Back in the fridge or in room temperature?

Here's a stupid question. Since im using liquid yeast, i of course dont add the yeast from under the lid of the malt extract can, correct? Just save that for other batches and just use liquid yeast?

And once my liquid yeast is added to my wort, what temps do i brew at? Do i ferment my wort at same time frame, 3 weeks?

Sorry to ask so many questions but i just want to make sure i brew properly with my yeast and everything goes smooth. If you have any other pointers or ways to help or inform me about liquid yeast, its greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and brew on!!

:chug:

no, do not add the dry yeast. save it in the fridge for later(i use the butter compatment for yeast storage)

So jim, the yeast that comes under the lid of the malt extract is best stored in the fridge? Never knew that. And since i cant use the yeast for this batch, what will happen if i double it up with another batch that just calls for the mr beer yeast? Or is that not a good idea?

i have never read anything that said it's truly better. i know the lhbs keeps it in there. so i figure can't hurt.

Guest System Admin

Refer to the Mfg for the fermenting temp range.

Storing dry yeast in the frig prolongs the life. Go to the manufacturer's page of any dry yeast and it shows that. I remove all Mr. Beer yeast when I receive them and store them in a ziplock bag in the frig butter compartment.

If you're doing a Mr. Beer recipe that uses liquid yeast, the instructions tell you to not use the dry yeast.

Using twice the Mr. Beer yeast in a batch won't hurt. Or help from what I've read.

I apologize if this is outside of what you're looking for...but I really like using liquid yeast. Now, I prefer WhiteLab personally...but Wyeast is good too. What you should come to find is that I think you have a little more specialization with liquid yeast. Depending on what you're shooting for that could mean a world of difference.

Let's take, for example, a British Ale yeast.

WhiteLabs has:

White Labs Austin Homebrew English Ale Yeast Blend WLP085
White Labs British Ale WLP005
White Labs Dry English Ale WLP007
White Labs English Ale WLP002
White Labs London Ale WLP013
and even
White Labs Platinum Essex Ale WLP022

You really have the luxury of tailoring beers to your taste or desired outcome. For example, if you want a more crisp English beer with a higher ABV...go with WLP007 as opposed to a something which leaves the beer a little more full and sweet like WLP002.

Understand what ATTENUATION is. Attenuation (in rough terms) is what of the wort will convert. As a standar...you should figure 75%. Attenuation is a measure of how much of the sugar in the wort has been fermented by the yeast. And this is where your alcohol or ABV comes into play. So...a yeast which coverts 75% will make a beer with a slightly lower ABV than something that converts 80%. WLP002 runs roughly 63-70% whereas WLP007 runs roughly 70-80%.

Example:

OG = 1.050

On a normal 75% standard...your ABV should be roughly 5.0 -to- 5.1% ABV. The WLP002 at 67% would produce a beer around 4.5% ABV...whereas the WLP007 at 80% would give you a beer around 5.3% ABV. Both strains are said to have a similar flavor profile...but the WLP002 would give you a bit more sweetness whereas the WLP007 would be more crisp.

As far as brewing temps...I strongly advise you to put in some research on the yeast you employ. They may all vary.

For example, WLP085 is optimal from 68-72 whereas WLP005 is optimal 65-70 and WLP013 is 66-71. Information like this is particularly important depending on your personal process and what temps at which you ferment.