Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
twyjad

top choice Mr beer refill?

Guest System Admin

Depends on what you like.

I like Diablo IPA but I tweak it with added malt and hops.

Sounds good. I usually drink Sam Adams. Dogfish. Ithaca. Magic hat

My top choice would be the API IPA. So far the only Mr. Beer recipe I would recommend (once you get past the cost).

This is such a loaded question, any answers you get will mean nothing, as everyone's taste is subjective. You're going to get answers that range from Mexican Cerveza to Imperial Stout.

All the Mr. Beer refills and Advanced Recipes make good beer. Which refill or recipe you prefer most is entirely up to you. There are so many styles of beer, and most of them are represented in the Mr. Beer repertoire. It's not a question of which is "best", it's a question of which you prefer.

I've not tried too very many but a hop and malt tweaked Diablo is pretty good for me.

Not really sure on the new(er) refills, I have not used as much as I had the old refills and have not found a winner yet.

Although the Bavarian Weissbier so far has been the best one I have tried, I think the Wheat Yeast make it better.

--- Edit ---

I found the Diablo IPA is only bitter no real hop taste, so I don't think it is worth the extra $ since you need to add flavor AND aroma hops to make it what I call an IPA not just a bitter beer

There are more that I haven't tried than that I have, but so far my first choice for a favorite straight up refill is Oktoberfest Lager. My Bewitched Amber Ale batch should be ready to drink this weekend, and I think it's a strong possibility for a new winner.

The Bavarian Weissbier is also my #1 from the new Mr Beer line up. I've done the NWPA, Diablo, Bewitched Amber and Patriot but the Weissbier IMO is the best. Good, clean, crisp beer.

Early on I wasn't in love with the Mexican Cerveza but it probably was the best beer I've made to date once I modified it by adding DME and hops. I did make the Diablo which turned out pretty well but I probably needed to add more hops for flavor and aroma. I agree that this is one of those questions where you'll get many different answers depending on the tastes of each brewer.

+1000 on what Fedora Dave wrote. It is all up to your own personal taste. You can make good brews with all of the Mr. B refills depending on what you wish to add to them. Many are good straight.

So far I have enjoyed them all. I would say that I tend to change preferences however so what ever suits my mood is the best beer at the time.

Still searching... have not brewed a lot of the new ones yet, been pretty busy.