Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbs

bottle sediment explosion

I just cracked a small trub bottle tester that I did up with my first non-cold crashed batch. This batch was dry hopped and this bottle had a good 1/4" of sediment and a few loose bits of hops in the bottom.

After a little over a day in the fridge I cracked it open, and then went to the cupboard for a fresh glass. Literally as I reach for the bottle for the pour a small explosion goes off in the bottom of the bottle and all the sediment comes up like I'd just shaken it up, and then it starts to foam over like a mofo, this probably happened about 10 seconds after I opened it (PET).

I went ahead and filled my glass through a strainer but boy their is a lot of hop bits floating in it, hopefully this won't hurt me, it's looks great and smells great except for the floaties (Howling Red with a dry hop). I just can't believe how much activity their is in the glass.

Are the rest of the bottles rock hard?
Do you think you over primed?
If it is infection it may continue to generate gas.
You may want to release some gas by twisting cap until it fsssts a little then reseal them.
Or put the rest in the fridge and try another to see if it happens again.
I had a steam beer in some PETs that had something wrong with them and had to off gas them a couple of times after I noticed the caps bulging.

Unfortunately that beer never did get drinkable. It had to be some kind of infection.

It comes from having an excessive amount of sediment and, especially hops bits in the bottle.

Each piece is what they refer to a nucleation point for the CO2!
This is the best I could find on it in a rush, but it's pretty much the same thing!

http://verysmallbeer.com/2011/01/glassware-nucleation-points/

Beer's probably good, just gonna be fizzy!

thanks guys.

All bottles are nicely firm after 4 weeks conditioning in the warm room. They've now been moved to the basement. I have one more pint sampler that I will leave in the fridge longer and see what happens, I don't think it's as 'trubby' as this one was tho.

Oddly enough, big head faded fast, down to a small but pleasant head and maybe a little undercarbed.

I recently picked up a big tennis ball sized tea strainer and used that to dry hop the next variation, hopefully this won't be a problem moving forward.

This beer is going to be awesome if I can get rid of the chunks! Very tasty!

I think I'm going to stick to doing my hoppy beers in small Mr. B sized batches so I can fit them in the fridge for a cold crash .....I just wanted to try without a cold crash this time and I'm sort of regretting it ATM.

Easiest way to solve the problem is to use a sack for your dry hops!

I had two brews do this exact same thing because I was too cheap to buy some .40 cent hops sacks!
Good luck and enjoy! :cheers: :cheers: