Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Back in the saddle! Twizzler Arms (5-gal)(AG)

It's hard to believe I have not brewed anything for 2 months (not counting the Pear Cider)... Some of you may remember that I had to take a hiatus when our second child was born back in April. Still, I was itching to brew something... Finally, the stars have aligned for this Saturday, so I can brew a batch!

One of my favorite summertime beers is Gumballhead by Three Floyds - it's an awesome white pale ale made with a ton of Amarillo. Super grapefruity, with a silky mouthfeel from the wheat.

Seems that a few of the Borg members have brewed clones recently; losman26 and teutonic terror come to mind. I'm actually brewing a modified teutonic terror's recipe, using grains I have on hand. It won't be an exact clone, but should be a very tasty summer beer!

Here's the recipe:

Twizzler Arms

an American Pale Ale by russki

Type: All Grain
Efficiency: 75.0%
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil time: 60 min

1.055 OG
37 IBU
5.4% ABV
8 SRM

Fermentables:
Rahr White Wheat Malt 5.0 lbs
Canada Malting Canadian 2-Row 4.0 lbs
Best Malz Caramel Malt I 1.0 lbs

Hops:
Magnum 0.25 oz 60 min
Amarillo 0.5 oz 15 min
Amarillo 1.25 oz 10 min
Amarillo 1.0 oz 5 min
Amarillo 1.25 oz Dry Hop

Yeast:
Safale US-05

Extras:
Whirlfloc Tablet 15.0 min

Mash:
152F 60 min

Any comments from the Borg?

That caramel malt looks interesting.....I had to look it up as I've never heard of it before:
Best Caramel Malt 1 (30-40°L)
Best Caramel Malt 1 will lend a fuller body, improved malt aroma and deep red color to your finished beer. This malt is best used in beers of all types requiring an extra malt emphasis such as Red Ale, Red Lager, Scottish Ale, Alt Beer and Brown Ale

I've never had a Gumballhead so I have no idea what it's like but you can't go wrong with a pale ale during the summer time.

"Beer-lord" post=377925 said:

That caramel malt looks interesting.....I had to look it up as I've never heard of it before:
Best Caramel Malt 1 (30-40°L)
Best Caramel Malt 1 will lend a fuller body, improved malt aroma and deep red color to your finished beer. This malt is best used in beers of all types requiring an extra malt emphasis such as Red Ale, Red Lager, Scottish Ale, Alt Beer and Brown Ale

I've never had a Gumballhead so I have no idea what it's like but you can't go wrong with a pale ale during the summer time.

I've not used this malt before - I got 5 pounds of it when a LHBS was closing, along with a 5 pound bag of Best Malz Caramel Malt Light (10-20L). I absolutely love the Light one - it's one of the best light crystal malts I've used; too bad I only have 8 oz of it left. Most clone recipes call for CaraVienne malt, which is about 25L. I know mine will be a bit darker, but that's ok.

Welcome back from another non brewer for a while (i had to stop brewing in order to move cross country - although your reason kicks ass). I have never had a gumballhead either but am wondering if it is available somewhere out here in east coast land now.

I am heading to the one local HBS in the area (the others are 75 miles away, this is gonna require an adjustment as I used to have 4 within about 4 miles of the house in Colorado). I may try to copy this recipe as me & SWMBO are definitely looking for a nice pale ale for the summer that will not render us useless for yard work etc after one or two.

So a 25L CaraVienne could work in place of the Canadian Malt? Pretty sure there won't be too much exotic at the LHBS as it is only open part time.

Cheers
jeff

"Manowarfan1" post=377955 said:

So a 25L CaraVienne could work in place of the Canadian Malt? Pretty sure there won't be too much exotic at the LHBS as it is only open part time.

Cheers
jeff

The Canadian Malt is just 2-row, it's the Best Malz Crystal that I subbed for CaraVienne in the original recipe. So, basically, you need 2-row, wheat malt, and CaraVienne (or another light to medium crystal malt).

Yahoo - just did a quick inventory of the stuff that I moved here - I have all of that stuff except for a yeast, a bit more two row (hope to buy maybe 10 pounds tomorrow, cant really buy a whole sack as I dont have a mill yet) and a lotta Amarillo. I do have a couple pounds of hops but of course Amarillo I have 1 oz of. Oh well - should be a fun and productive meeting with the LHBS dude tomorrow (then he goes out of town for like 10 days, zoinks). I think his regualr job is as a fisherman here on the Chesepeake Bay so I gotta grab a bunch of recipes off the forum here, grab the grains and yeasts I need and if nothing else I may end up making a ton of SMaSH beers while I start the process of making a brew room here :)

Can't wait to try this one as I have heard about GBH for a long time.

Cheers
jeff

You all (of y'all depending on where you live) need to quite talking about Gumbalhead. I've never tried one and need to :angry:

Brewed this yesterday; damn, does Amarillo smell great or what! OG: 1.050.

sounds yummy, now I'm trying to decide between a wheat pale ale or a rye pale ale for my next 5 gal.

thx for posting this

Checked the gravity yesterday - 1.010; the primary fermentation is done. Dry-hopped with 1.25 oz of Amarillo pellets; will keg it this coming weekend! This should go from grain to glass in less than 3 weeks.

Had a couple pints of this over the weekend. Tasty, but could be better. Crystal malt that I had used is a bit too caramely, and it needs more Amarillo! If I do this again, I would probably double the 5 min addition and the dry hop, and use Aromatic malt in place of Crystal.

Any particular aromatic malt Russki? I have some Belgian aromatic sitting around not being used for anything
and have to get a buncha amarillo anyway :)

"Manowarfan1" post=383650 said:

Any particular aromatic malt Russki? I have some Belgian aromatic sitting around not being used for anything
and have to get a buncha amarillo anyway :)

Yep, Belgian Aromatic Malt. I would probably scale it down to 1/2# and sub a pound of 2-row for a pound of Vienna too.

Well heck I have everything I need to try this now except the Amarillo (only have one ounce of it). Got bunches of other hops but really wanting to use the Amarillo so I can at least be in the ballpark of this beer that I have heard so much about.

Add another item to the list of things to get once withdrawl from IRA arrives :) Just hope some places have a pound of Amarillo still available - a lot of stuff seems to be out at places until fall.

Cheers
jeff