Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbs

how much would Irish Moss benefit a cider?

I recently made a cider and I meant to boil a little AJ with irish moss ...but forgot.

Does the borg think it would benefit much from the irish moss?

What if I boiled a little AJ with the moss in it now and added it to the LBK?

You really don't want to boil juice. Doing so will set the pectins and create a permanent haze in your cider. Irish Moss will not do anything to it. What you want is pectic enzyme - it breaks down haze-causing pectins and helps to get a clear cider. I personally never boil (or even heat) juice for ciders or honey for meads, nor do I use any finings, and get crystal clear cider; you just gotta give it time.

I have time! I will likely give it a nice long cold crash too.

"russki" post=377950 said:

You really don't want to boil juice. Doing so will set the pectins and create a permanent haze in your cider. Irish Moss will not do anything to it. What you want is pectic enzyme - it breaks down haze-causing pectins and helps to get a clear cider. I personally never boil (or even heat) juice for ciders or honey for meads, nor do I use any finings, and get crystal clear cider; you just gotta give it time.

Despite my really iffy luck with ciders the ones I did not heat turned out way better than the ones I did heat. And it certainly creates a huge improvement in mead if you don't boil. Although I do warm the honey and the water a bit to make it pour and mix easier.

I used on-sale costco Rougemont AJ for this cider $10 for 12L. I just put 8.5L in the LBK and added a Mr. B yeast. After 3 weeks ferment and a week cold crash it tasted very promising at bottling time (keep in mind we typically drink less sweet ciders like Strongbow).

Their was very little trub in the LBK and it poured very clear. After a couple weeks carbonation their is similar sediment to a beer. Not planning on cracking any for a couple more weeks however I've got my hopes up. I've got it bottled in clear strongbow bottles, made this more for the mrs so presentation is more important :)

forgot to mention, OG 1.043 however the FG was just under 1.000 which surprised me til I did a little reading and found out this is pretty typical.