Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RangerDanger

Saflager S-23

I know this has been discussed but I just wanted to hear it for myself. I picked up a shiner bock clone from Austin Homebrew today, which came with the S-23 dry lager yeast. The package reads the range is 48-71 but the 'ideal' range is 53-59. I plan to keep it in a cooler with ice bottles to at least keep it under 60 as best I can. I know this isn't the most consistent method for keeping temps down but will it work ok? I'm not looking for a true lager with exact temps, D rest, and several months of lagering. I just want the temp to stay low enough to keep my yeast happy. Thoughts?

i belive i'd just add an extra bottle or two above what you usually put in there. jmo

And don't skip the d-rest (unless you want your beer to taste like movie popcorn butter).

"BigFloyd" post=378038 said:

And don't skip the d-rest (unless you want your beer to taste like movie popcorn butter).

Agree with BigFloyd. I have used this yeast for 3 of my lagers, once from the sachet and the other 2 from yeast harvested from the first batch. I really like this yeast and you really shouldn't have a problem in keeping the temp in the low to mid 50's using a cooler and ice bottles, I changed my 64 oz bottles out every 10-12 hours and did a D-rest after 14 days (let temp ride up to 65ish* for 3 days)...You shouldn't have too much of a problem with making a nice clean brew using that yeast. good luck and brew on forever more!!!

:cheers:

You'll want 2 packages of the yeast.
A lager requires more yeast than an ale.
I usually aim for 50-55 fermentation temps.

Ok let me make sure I've got my method down. I'll probably ferment closer to three weeks, as I don't have a hydrometer. Then raise to mid 60s for a 3 day D rest. Then can a lager still be cold crashed?

Here's my only concern with the d rest (and the whole process I guess). I'm in the middle of Texas in June. It already getting into the low-mid 90s and just getting hotter every day. I appreciate the reassurance that ill be able to keep it in the 50s, but I'm still skeptical. When I do ales with just a single water bottle, the temperature fluctuates from 61ish when I put a new bottle in, to 71ish when I take it out 10-12 hours later. So even with a few extra bottles to get it into the low 50s initially, I fear it will already be back into the low-mid 60s when I get home from work to change the bottles.

"RangerDanger" post=378178 said:

Ok let me make sure I've got my method down. I'll probably ferment closer to three weeks, as I don't have a hydrometer. Then raise to mid 60s for a 3 day D rest. Then can a lager still be cold crashed?

Here's my only concern with the d rest (and the whole process I guess). I'm in the middle of Texas in June. It already getting into the low-mid 90s and just getting hotter every day. I appreciate the reassurance that ill be able to keep it in the 50s, but I'm still skeptical. When I do ales with just a single water bottle, the temperature fluctuates from 61ish when I put a new bottle in, to 71ish when I take it out 10-12 hours later. So even with a few extra bottles to get it into the low 50s initially, I fear it will already be back into the low-mid 60s when I get home from work to change the bottles.

Is your cooler outside?
Mine is inside at room temp 74
Big cooler
I had to switch to 1 ...1 litre mr beer bottle frozen because I was getting below 60 with a couple of ales iside.
I swap them out every 12 hours and varies 1 or 2 degrees at most
Ice doesnt even completely melt in bottle
I think I could maintain low 50s with a gallon jug or 2, but I have a big coca cola cooler for lagers. Set at 52
:)

As long as you don't let it get above 71 degs f during fermentation you'll still get a cleaner crisper lager-ish beer than with ale yeasts. If you can keep it in Ideal range then do it, but if you can't just keep it under 71 and you'll still taste a difference.

Is it normal for the S-23 (or lager yeast in general) to produce kind of a funky smell? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's definitely not a pleasant smell. And nothing like any of my beers have smelled like before. We were out of town this weekend and the temperature got a little higher than I would have liked, but still never above 65. It's still within range so I wouldn't think the temp would cause the off odor. I've never done a lager though so maybe it's normal?

Yes, doesn't always happen but when you use lager yeast not uncommon to get a funky sulfur smell that will last for 3-5 days when active fermentation is happening

"Trollby" post=378852 said:

Yes, doesn't always happen but when you use lager yeast not uncommon to get a funky sulfur smell that will last for 3-5 days when active fermentation is happening

Ok yeah. I think sulfur would be a pretty good description. Thanks. Good to know its normal for that to happen sometimes.