Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bcltoys

Summer seasonal ?

Anybody order and receive. What are the SRM'S and IBU it does not say in description.Is it a lawn-mower type beer.

"RickBeer" post=378349 said:

Just became available. No one has any info at this point.

That's what I figured. Thanky

Did it just become available today? Nobody brought it up besides this thread? Hmmm.

Looks pretty cool! Anyone ever used the Belle Saison Yeast included?

[attachment=13716]image_2013-06-07-2.jpg[/attachment]

I think it's derived from the same strain as Wyeast 3711 (French Saison). It is what I will be using to turn my other batch of the White IPA into a saison. It's peppery and spicy. Should not make bubblegum or fruity flavors like Belgian saison yeast.

It will ferment the beer very dry. It plays nice with hops, especially spicy/citrusy/floral hops (like traditional noble hops and Goldings and the like that are typically used in saisons) and enhances them.

Let me put it this way - if Mr. Beer had shipped that yeast with the White IPA then it would have met the 1.008 that was listed. Or maybe even lower.

It does not need 80-90 degree temps like Belgian Saison yeast, but it still will make better flavors if you can get it into the 70s a few days after it gets going - and it will ferment out faster. I'd start it around 66, and let it get up to 75 if you can.

DO NOT try to keep it in the low 60s. That will just make it take 4+ weeks to ferment out your beer, give you a poor flavor profile, and if you don't wait you will have bottle bombs later.

I've gotten 90% attenuation with French Saison in the upper 70s...

EDIT: I will warn you - if you decided that you HATE the T-58 and you didn't ferment it in the 70s and make a bunch of banana or funky fruit, you simply just hate the peppery/spicy flavors - then you will likely hate this yeast too. The flavors will be similar but more pronounced and more complex. I use T-58 at cooler temps as a pseudo-saison yeast to replace French Saison in batches with lots of sugar added to help dry them out.

Ended up buying one, and Mashani , you are the man when it comes to these types of beers, as always thanx for the info.

After a disappointing so called White "IPA" that was not whatsoever even close to having the IBUs that the label had on it, I'm gonna pass on this one. For the same price or for a little more, I can do a 5 gal batch that is amazing, no questions, no doubts about it. Ordering this one, my FG will probably end up being 7-10 pts higher, and OG 5 pts lower, yielding a beer that is not as advertised ABV wise. I'd rather not take the risk.

I went and ahead and ordered me one up.We will see how it turns out

Just ordered mine as well. It'll be started up in a week or two, the lbks are occupied right now :stout:

I wasn't terribly impressed by the Spring Seasonal so I think I'll sit on the sidelines for the Summer and wait for reviews. Besides, I have way plenty going and in the on-deck circle.

I plan on ordering but will probably sit around and wait for another promo as it will give me an excuse to order some other stuff I have been looking at without having to pay two shippings. When you factor in the shipping yes this can be an expensive brew by itself. May also check to see if LHBS has it and/or if they can order it for me on their bulk order. Although I was disappointed in the Spring seasonal as a White IPA, I do enjoy the taste and hope to get the El Diablo Blanco fired up this weekend.

I ordered a couple because I like saisons and Wyeast French Saison is one of my favorite yeasts, and that yeast makes equivalent beer - so I don't see how I will not like the result.

To order 2 packs of just the yeast from Northern Brewer comes out to close to $19 after you add in shipping (the yeast is $5.50 each). You can get it cheaper from Rebel, but Rebel doesn't have any LME I want to use, and I have plenty of DME and hops, so nothing there for me to "go with". None of my LHBS carry it, nor French Saison, so I have to order it from somewhere.

I can make 2 batches with one pack of that yeast, so I consider the extra pack "free", and believe me, I will find good use for it.

So I don't feel totally screwed, especially since it's an easy no time spent summer beer I can brew when it's too hot to brew anything else.

Just got mine yesterday, can't wait to bottle some next week and free up a LBK for it. And it answers the question of 'Can you use those big Coopers cans in a LBK?', well this is 3.75lbs and I assume it goes in one LBK. And it is about the size of those big cans.

Monty

"Monsteroyd" post=379564 said:

Just got mine yesterday, can't wait to bottle some next week and free up a LBK for it. And it answers the question of 'Can you use those big Coopers cans in a LBK?', well this is 3.75lbs and I assume it goes in one LBK. And it is about the size of those big cans.

Monty

Monty -

Don't you know that size doesn't matter? :laugh:

The size of the can has nothing to do with how much it makes. Mr. Beer extracts are designed to be made by themselves, just add water. Coopers and other big cans like that are generally designed for a 5 gallon batch (sometimes 6), and the instructions tell you to add several pounds of sugar (most use LME/DME instead). In other words, Mr. Beer includes all the malt you need, whereas the other cans include SOME of the malt you need - and you have to add more.

So, if you make say a Coopers large can in an LBK, you'll have more hops than they intended in your 2.5 gallon batch and a much different flavor profile will result - since the malt you would have added would have balanced out the hops more.

@Monty:

To put it simply re: the big coopers cans. If you put a coopers bitter into an LBK straight up, what you get out of it is more like an English IPA. IE very bitter, but not with as much flavor/aroma as an American IPA. Do it with the stout and you get something more like a highly bittered "export stout" instead of a normal dry irish stout.

It doesn't mean it is "bad", just that it's not what is intended. Which may or may not be bad, it just depends on what you expect, and the kind of big coopers can you select. EDIT: I also do have to say if you don't like the Pride or Ringwood flavor, doing this totally amps it up.... so you are warned there.

Now what makes good beer for sure in an LBK are the Muntons Gold kits. They come as 2 3.3# cans, and 1 can per LBK makes really good beer - they are designed for using both cans in a 5-6 gallon batch and no other additions. And they have no Pride or Ringwood, so if that bugs you they are that much better.

Anyways, I got my cans of this stuff, but I don't know when I'm going to brew them yet... got my "spring seasonal" saison going ATM.

Dang you guys - I always forget about the hops in them there HME's. OK well then, I could put 3.75 lbs of unhopped in and do my own hop boils.

I am real excited about this since the saison I had at the beer fest was wonderful. Here's hoping this is too.

@mashani - Pride or Ringwood? Are those the hops?

Thanks
Monty

Pride of Ringwood are used as bittering hops by Coopers. They have a weird woody/earthy rough edged flavor unlike any other hop I know of. You can taste this flavor even if it's just used as a bittering hop. Its a common flavor you will get across many Coopers HMEs, and also many of the new Mr. Beer/Coopers HMEs. How much you notice it depends on your own taste thresholds and what else is in the HME, IE a dark roasty HME or one with lots of crystal malt you may not notice it at all, but in a pilsner it might be in your face. I actually don't taste it in all the Coopers/Mr. Beer refills, but I do in some of them. I've never met a big coopers can that I didn't taste it in, but I haven't brewed them for a while, so it may just be that my taste buds are getting old and lame LOL.

I find that copious amounts of late hops like Simcoe, Columbus or the like in an American style can cover it up for me.

I fired up an order for a couple of these this morning. I noticed my LHBS has the same yeast, as well as the Wyeast French Saison, mmm... May have to try a side by side brew off: MrB straight up seasonal vs an AG home recipe.

I got mine on Thursday last week yeast was broke open. Looked to be cut some how so I whipped it up with two of the gold pack yeasts that come with the refills will see how it turns out.

You should have reported that to Mr. Beer and got replacement yeast. That yeast is worth 5+ bucks.

Got mine yesterday, came through fine even though the box was beat up pretty good. Guess it'll be a bottle and brew day later on today :woohoo:

I did one batch of it stock with nothing additional and another batch with some ginger and lemon zest. See me in about 7 weeks for an opinion :)

Monty

Just finished with mine straight up, OG was 1.058 before pitching.

"bcltoys" post=380454 said:

I got mine on Thursday last week yeast was broke open. Looked to be cut some how so I whipped it up with two of the gold pack yeasts that come with the refills will see how it turns out.

+1 on reporting to MB. I've never had any issues myself but from what I've seen other Borg members post they have excellent customer service and would likely replace the yeast free of charge.

Mine just came moments ago. The summer seasonal along with the Belgian Blanc recipe. These two move strait to the top along with an AG wheat. My planning worked out finally and the 3rd LBK is cold crashing now. I have some Belgians planned this summer/fall and want to get this yeast harvested ASAP. The summer yeast and the Belgian from the other recipe Built a DIY stir plate that Im anxious to try out. The other foot had dropped and stayed down for so long. Im seeing daylight...

Just bought mine today. Can't wait to brew this up I think I will throw in some centennial for a dry hop.

Just so you know what you should potentially expect for FGs with the included yeast, this is what it did to my 1.050 wheat Saison:

[attachment=14018]P1080703_2013-06-29.jpg[/attachment]

In other words, don't assume it's done at 75 or 80, or 85, or even 90% attenuation. It's not done until it's done munching and it likes to munch.

That level of attenuation is not crazy, I get that with Wyeast 3711 often, and the Bella Saison is the same strain I believe. That was fermented between 72 and 76 degrees - which is where you should be with this yeast, don't try to keep it cool like you would some other yeast.

Summer seasonal is in the fermentor. OG was 1.062 at a volume of 9 quarts. I had it sitting at 67 for the first 8 hours and now it is fermenting at an ambient 74. Krausen looks good and I cannot wait to try it when its ready.

"BDR" post=380876 said:

Just finished with mine straight up, OG was 1.058 before pitching.

Hydrometer is showing 1.005 today :blink: Going to check it again in a couple days which would mark 14 days in the LBK.

With this yeast the FG can get low, I think mine finished around 1.006, but it does taste awesome!! :gulp:

Looking like I might be bottling tomorrow or on the 4th if the readings don't change. The sample I had the other day was nice. I need to empty some glass bottles quick haha.

Brewed mine. Straight up except for 1/3oz of citra tossed in at flameout. EDIT: Before someone asks why... I was drinking a Saison Du Buff earlier and it clearly has citra as a late addition and I liked it a lot. So I figured WTH, late hops never come through in these cans, so I figured I'd not be "masking" anything, and I like my saisons to be hop forward.

Bottled this last night. Got a FG of 1.004, so with a OG 1.060, that's 7.34% ABV. Wow. The gravity sample tasted great, so only another month till drinking time. It was pretty cloudy, is that normal? I've never done a wheat before.

Monty

wheat usually means cloudy. some even shake the yeast up before pouring a glass to make it even cloudier. not me, but some.

Given enough time in the bottle and then later in the fridge it may clear up a lot depending on how much Wheat is in it.

Also you have to consider that the yeast is a very low floc yeast. One of the reasons it ferments out so insanely is that it doesn't fall out of suspension and go to sleep, it just hang out and chews up stuff. So you have a LOT of yeast still in suspension which is making it seem more cloudy. This will also clear up after time in the bottle and with time in the fridge. (edit: Just pour the bottle in one pour into a glass or pitcher if it's a big bottle so you don't shake the yeast back into suspension from the bottle trub if it you want it to stay that way when you drink it).

You can cold crash it and clear it up a lot of it bugs you, but I'd not bother personally.

Popped one at 1 week just to see how things were going, they're going good :) Going to keep my fingers off it for a good while now. It came out to be 7.1% ABV and it sure felt like it.

Brewed this up 7 week's ago. Did not use the yeast that came with it cause it came ripped open so I just used Mrbeer gold yeast. My best beer to date very good and pack's a punch. It will only get better come September,at eight week's in the bottle.

Can you describe the taste a bit? I'm curious to see how this one came out for everybody.

"Kealia" post=389913 said:

Can you describe the taste a bit? I'm curious to see how this one came out for everybody.

Everybody else proly used the yeast that came with the kit,so the way mine came out proly not going to be like everybody else. Good head, smooth and some bitter bite,will only get better with time.

My impressions out of the fermenter (I just bottled it yesterday).

Dry and spicy, no hot alcohols even though it was fermented close to 77-78 degrees for the most part and is somewhat insanely alcoholic for a summer beer. Except for the trub bottle, I'm not planning on drinking it as a summer beer, this should stay good for a long time, so I'm considering it more of a "deep pipeline" brew like a quad.

It should be good. Mine, I added some citra to, so I have all kinds of tropical fruit on top of all of that, but it would be good without it. The citra will mellow by the time I get to it, which is what I intended.

I'm going to drink the "Franco-Belgian-American IPA" I made with the bella saison and a lot more Citra first.