Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
zepbrew

another first time AG brewer

ok pro brewers, going to do my first AG batch-grains are on order(LHBS doesn't carry a big selection of grains). going to do a Moose Drool clone. had some out in Sturgis a few years ago and really liked it.
Home made Tun is finished, from 5 gal round cooler. have read lots of how to's, feeling pretty confident.
recipe is as follows
9 lbs 2 row pale
1 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb crystal 20
1/2 lb carapils
1/2 lb flaked oats
1/3 lb chocolate malt
1/8 lb black patent

1 oz east kent goldings 60 min
1 oz liberty 30 min
1oz willamette 5 min
Wyeast 1968 yeast

Question-- first time using a liquid yeast. from what i have read the pack has an internal pack that you break open the day before. just in case the directions on the pack are not clear- any pointers or advice- is more than welcome. i have become very comfortable doing extract brews and am looking forward to this next step.

Have not done or had Moose Drool myself, but the recipe sounds good.
Here is the info on the Wyeast site.

Instructions for the proper use of Activator™ packages:
1.To Activate, locate and move inner packet to a corner. Place this area in palm of one hand and firmly smack the package with the other hand to break the inner nutrient packet. Confirm the inner packet is broken.
2.Shake the package well to release the nutrients.
3.Allow the package to incubate and swell for 3 hours or more (it is not necessary for this package to fully swell before use) at 70-75°F (21-24°C).
4.Use sanitizing solution to sanitize the package before opening.
5.Shake well, open and pour the Activator™ into 5 gallons of well aerated or oxygenated wort up to 1.060 OG at 65-72°F (18-22°C). Maintain temperature until fermentation is evident by CO2 bubble formation, bubbling airlock or foaming on top of wort. For high gravity or low temperature fermentations additional yeast may be required.
6.6. Adjust to desired fermentation temperature.

Full swelling of Activator™ packages is not required for their use. The contents of Activator™ packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Our smack pack technology is intended to be a tool for your use in determining viability, and in initiating metabolism for faster starts to fermentation.

I have used Wyeast twice and both times smacked it about 4-5 hours before pitching. Great beer both times.

All the best with your first AG day.

Inkleg nailed it..... wyeast is pretty easy, I've used after 3 hours of swelling and 24...

Good luck, and let us know your experiences with it...

Best of luck and welcome to AG brewing!
You will quickly realize you can control your recipes more precisely!

The smack pack is pretty straight forward. You feel the inner packet and crunch it to activate it!

Good luck! :cheers: :cheers:

thanks for the info brewers! grains should arrive monday, but i'm headed to beach tuesday, so i'll wait until i get home and brew next monday. i would do it this monday, but i don't want to rush myself being my first AG brew. All my extract brews (9) have really turned out good, True Brew Belgian Ale being my favorite so far. The wife likes the Aztec Cerveza( i added some citrus hops-gives it a little of an IPA after taste). So i'm feeling pretty good about the AG. Just wish my LHBS had a bigger selection of grains. I did order double the quantity of this recipe, because the shipping was only $10.00 for the whole order. anyway, i will report back my progress after i get started. Enjoy the weekend everyone-going out to the pool to drink some Puppy Poop(Black Lager) and Kick Ass Cloie(Belgian Ale)-named after our mean ass cat!

Welcome to the next phase of your brewing Adventure ! Keep us posted on how it turns out .

I love me some Moose Drool - good luck.

A word of advice, check out Mr Malty to determine if you have enough yeast in that smack pack or if need to do a starter. You'll want to pay attention to the date on the package and enter that on the site.

If you haven't used this for your extract brews, do it. You'll pitch the right amount of yeast which can make a huge difference in the final product. If you know this already, then ignore this post.

You'll find all grain is an easy process. I do brew in a bag for the simplicity. I commend you on building a mash tun! AG is pretty cool. Also with the wyeast 1968, if you ferment low temps for the majority of fermentation, you'll need to raise you fermenting temp a few degrees (maybe around 70) for the final 3 days of fermentation for a diacetyl rest. FYI

"Kealia" post=378734 said:

I love me some Moose Drool - good luck.

A word of advice, check out Mr Malty to determine if you have enough yeast in that smack pack or if need to do a starter. You'll want to pay attention to the date on the package and enter that on the site.

If you haven't used this for your extract brews, do it. You'll pitch the right amount of yeast which can make a huge difference in the final product. If you know this already, then ignore this post.

+1. Typically, pitching a smack pack (100 billion cells which declines over time) into 5.25 or so gallons of medium gravity ale wort isn't quite enough cells. For a lager (which needs 2x the cells), it's not even close.

If you're going to be using liquid yeast varieties, it's a really good idea to learn about starters and get set up to do them. It can be as simple as putting a liter or two of 1.030 wort into a jar, adding the yeast and letting it sit at room temp a couple days or as involved as using a stir plate and/or doing stepped-up starters. The good news is that this will help give you the capability to harvest yeast and use it in later batches.

Wyeast 1968 London ESB is a funny yeast. I call it my "cottage cheese yeast" because that's what it looks like on the stir plate - curds. It does a great job, but you have to mind the temps carefully. I start it out at 63-64*F (measured on the bucket) for the first few days, but then bring it on up to 66-68*F for the rest of the time. If kept too cool after the active growth phase, 1968 has the tendency to drop out a bit early and is quite had to rouse by swirling because the yeast cake is very firm (almost like jello). The rise to 68*F will also allow the yeast to eat the diacetyl it has produced.

As with any liquid yeast, you have to aerate your wort more than is needed when using dry yeast.

"zepbrew" post=378340 said:

ok pro brewers, going to do my first AG batch-grains are on order(LHBS doesn't carry a big selection of grains). going to do a Moose Drool clone. had some out in Sturgis a few years ago and really liked it.
Home made Tun is finished, from 5 gal round cooler. have read lots of how to's, feeling pretty confident.
recipe is as follows
9 lbs 2 row pale
1 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb crystal 20
1/2 lb carapils
1/2 lb flaked oats
1/3 lb chocolate malt
1/8 lb black patent

1 oz east kent goldings 60 min
1 oz liberty 30 min
1oz willamette 5 min
Wyeast 1968 yeast

Question-- first time using a liquid yeast. from what i have read the pack has an internal pack that you break open the day before. just in case the directions on the pack are not clear- any pointers or advice- is more than welcome. i have become very comfortable doing extract brews and am looking forward to this next step.

My initial response was that's got an awful lot of specialty grains going for it, for my tastes anyway 2 pounds of caramel malt is close to 20% of the grain bill. I'll be the first to admit I've never even seen a glass of Moose Drool let alone taste it but the recipes says it's a dark somewhat sweet beer based on the amount of crystal malts.

If I were to brew this batch I'd reduce the East Kent Goldings to half an ounce and make it a first wort hop addition, actually I do that for any beer I brew these days. Then make up for the lower IBUs by adding the rest at 30 minutes, the smaller amount of FWH will make the wort less bitter and allow more grain flavors to appear in the finished beer. Keep a good handle on your strike/mash temperatures, give it a good healthy pitch of yeast and have fun brewing your first all grain recipe!

OK, got around to brewing yesterday. everything went as planned, except i had to sparge twice to get my 6.5 gallons (didn't want to just add water). my OG is 1.068, which according to Brewhouse is an efficiency of 90%-hope my hydrometer is working ok! i do have a Boch thats been in the secondary for a week and will not drop below 1.02 (OG was 1.053). It reads 1 with plain water. i did take a plate and put on top of my mash and squeezed all the liquid i could out on the last sparge. the mash held from 156 to 152 after 60 minutes, sparged at 168 for ten minutes each time. used fermcap for the first time-what a difference-didn't have to constantly monitor for boil over, nice! this brew is for my wife, who really liked this beer when we drank it and her Bday is aug 9th-so should be ready just in time. will update progress (or problems)

The recipe I used when I brewed this (only once so far but really liked it) was:
- 9-lbs.-Rahr-2-row-pale--
.75-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-60L-
- .5-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-80L--
.25-lbs.-Fawcett-Pale-Chocolate-
.125-lbs.-English-Black-Malt-
1-oz.-US-Goldings-(60-min)
1-oz.-Liberty-(30-min)-
1-oz.-Willamette-(15-min)
I used the Windsor yeast but you can use 1332.

It was somewhat sweet but not overly so.

Good luck!

I really like AG beers, but extract beers are sooo much easier (Not kits).

I do all three (Kit, extract homemade and AG) and find that since my LHBS discounts LME Extract just makes it so easy.

Just remember to Relax and have fun, it seems like a long day, but makes really good beer