Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbs

Finum large tea bags for hops?

I found these at wally world, 100 for $1.00

I figure I might be able to get 1/2oz in each one, and then paperclip the flap. Could make for some clean hop boils, nice for organizing the hop schedule too.

I put an iPod in the picture for scale.

20130608_finum-tea-bags.jpg

What ya think?

"RickBeer" post=378577 said:

I think 1/2 oz of hops will burst those puppies open.

Yup...and paperclips may be made of galvanized metal, which would be a bad thing in a boil, but I'm not positive on that. If you do decide to give it a try, make sure you check your paperclips.

Come on now...give the guy a break. Try em for us (like taking one for the team) and report back to the borg. Positive or negative experience. I wouldn't use a paperclip, just tie it closed with a piece of string or something along those lines. Good luck and let us know.

:cheers:

I use these muslin type sacks...

Works well...

4746_small1__73688.1360810128.1280.1280.

Product Description
Disposable bag stretches to accomodate 1-3 ounces of hop pellets in the boiling pot.

"T8r Salad" post=378583 said:

Come on now...give the guy a break. Try em for us (like taking one for the team) and report back to the borg. Positive or negative experience. I wouldn't use a paperclip, just tie it closed with a piece of string or something along those lines. Good luck and let us know.

T8r...You've got a good point here. They might just work. I've never tried them so I guess I shouldn't have made the judgement without the first hand knowledge. Who knows, Brewbs might have well found a great alternative. My apologies!!

I didn't think about the hops expanding to the point where they would pop, you might have a point. That said these things have an expanding bottom and are quite well made.

I have some plain chrome looking paperclips, quite sure they aren't galvanized, maybe if I pre boiled a bunch it would boil out any possible contaminants.

The reason I don't want to use string is the amount of volume I might lose with the tie job but I do have to think about this some more.

I will definitely test the limits of these things, they sure make for quick and easy setup/clean-up and for 1 cent each the price is right.

I've used tea bags in a hop boil. I think my bags were smaller, I used three for 1/2oz of pellets. I just tucked in the tops. At least one leaked, and they did seem to weep particles. Still better than nothing, next time I might tie them with floss.

"BlackDuck" post=378600 said:

"T8r Salad" post=378583 said:

T8r...You've got a good point here. They might just work. I've never tried them so I guess I shouldn't have made the judgement without the first hand knowledge. Who knows, Brewbs might have well found a great alternative. My apologies!!

No apologies needed...I jump to conclusions all the time, just not too high since i am a white boy. Brewbs just might have found us a very cheap alternative to muslin hop sacks. I hope it turns out to work since my ulterior motive. I am harvesting yeast from my lbks and going commando sure muddies up the trub and this inexpensive idea will clean that trub up a little...

so I pulled out my old Swingline stapler and tested a staple in salty water overnight. It didn't rust so it's either tin or galvanized, I'm thinking tin because I'd expect their to be some rust where the staples were attached to one another.

I was thinking I could staple them, maybe even use 1 staple over a few bags if I need a bunch of hops, just fan the bags out to they get lot's of spread. This will minimize the staples and maximize the utilization .....I hope.

It's my b-day in a few days and I have a new burner coming and hopefully a few other brewing goodies :o ..so I will be doing up a 5 gal pale ale next week, this is when I'll test them out :)

Why not just go get some paint strainers and cut them into smaller pieces for hop sacks?

They are reusable, you can throw them in the LBK with your Oxi Clean, PBW etc. when you soak them and they should come out bright as new.

I seal mine with tiny cable ties and just cut them off when done.

Easy Peasy.

Alright, all the ingredients have been measured and 'tea bagged', brewing this tomorrow testing the tea bags. Each timed addition is in a single bag. I have a single small paper staple holding a double fold on the top of each bag, let's see if they can take the abuse of a 60 minute boil.

this is my 3rd attempt at SNPA clone.

steep, start at 157 for 20 minutes
4 oz Crystal 60
2 oz CaraPils

60 minutes
0.3 oz (8.5 g) Perle
0.08 oz (2.2 g) Magnum
0.07 oz (2.0 g) Cascade
1.65 lb (500 ml) UCM Pale LME

15 minutes
1/2 tsp Irish Moss
1.65 lb (500 ml) UCM Pale LME
0.425 oz (12 g) Cascade

0 minutes
0.425 oz (12 g) Cascade

Washed US-05

For small amounts of hops just toss em in. Hops are anti-bacterial one less thing to sanitize and worry about nasties with. For large amounts 8 oz plus I use nylon grain bags

wow, finally got around to brewing this.

The tea bags held up great throughout a 60 minute boil. Only thing I wished I'd done was let them drain out on the splattershield at the end of the boil to get all that hoppy goodness out of 'em.

So yeah, I guess they stand up to a boil well with nearly half an ounce of hops however I think that's pushing it cause they looked like they were going to burst.

I guess I'll find out how well utilized the hops were in 6 weeks or so, although after all that work I wasn't paying attention and ended up over filling my LBK by almost a quart! ...so FG of 1.043 instead of 1.05X.... oh well, it will be pale ale and it will be yummy :)

Here's a shot of my tea bags in baggies ready to go (the 60 is already in the pot).
20130629_finum_1.jpg

Here's a shot of them floating, at first they primarily floated, but after a while they danced all over the place, not just on the surface, for this reason I think the hop utilization should be pretty good.
20130629_finum_2.jpg

"Brewbs" post=383090 said:

I wasn't paying attention and ended up over filling my LBK by almost a quart! ...so FG of 1.043 instead of 1.05X.... oh well, it will be pale ale and it will be yummy :)

Are we long lost brothers? I do and say this alot myself. :laugh:

Thanks for taking the plunge with something new and the follow up so that we all can learn.

I would think a tea bag would work with some string. You could decide to use more than 1 bag to make all you hops fit too. Probably easier than going the the home brew store too.