Mr.Beer Community
mashani

Dandelion Wheat Saison:Spring Seasonal Frankenbier

Brewing this tomorrow or Wednesday. This is the plan. Will update if anything changes.

Perfect for summer.

4.6 gallon partial volume boil.

Ingredients:

1 Mr. Beer Summer Seasonal White IPA
1.5# Wheat LME (Northern Brewer)
0.5# Dandelion Candi Syrup (I made this myself. I posted the recipe here somewhere. I've got 2# of it, may as well use some).

3/4oz 3.0AA Saaz @15
1/4oz 4.2AA Hallertauer @15

Seasonal spice pack @5 (lemon peel and coriander).

3/4oz 4.2AA Hallertauer @2
1/4oz 3.0AA Saaz @2

Danstar Bella Saison Yeast

Process:

2.5 gallon boil of the Wheat DME and the Candi Syrup. I'm going to do a 20 minute boil.
Hops and spice pack as above @T15, @T5, @T2
Turn off flame
Stir in can of Seasonal Summer White Wheat IPA
Put on lid and let stand for 10 minutes (little hop stand to get more out of them maybe)
Pull hops and spices, top up to 4.6 gallons, cool, split between 2 LBKs.
Pitch Danstar Bella Saison

Will start it around 66, let it free rise into the 70s... I'm not going to do temp control unless I have to. (have to is if it hits 78 or so, but I doubt it will, my house isn't that hot yet).

The OG should be right around 1.050. IBUs should be around 32-33, and it should be around 5 SRM.

I would not be surprised if this gets to 1.008 or even lower with this yeast. It chews up anything and the sugar will make it freaking happy.

Between the hops and the candi syrup it's going to earthy and slightly nutty and grassy and spicy and floral, with only a hint of light caramel sweetness and some vanilla like flavors too. The yeast will add more spices and herbal notes and some lemony/tart flavors. The spice pack will add some lemon but it will not be in your face, just hints in the background.

I see no reason why it won't be tasty, and it makes my second can of that seasonal worth it price wise and time wise. It works great here as a base to give me the bitterness I needed without doing a long boil, and it's wort makeup is perfect for this really, since its so "blah" from a late hop standpoint, I can just whomp on it at will.

I look at this is as what that beer should have been. Maybe. LOL.

And I will be able to directly compare this to the Summer Seasonal yeah!

EDIT: if you wanted to try this and not make your own candi syrup, I'd suggest trying 1/2# of 5L golden candi syrup. What I made is a lot like that, except it's got the nutty/herbal thing added. This stuff:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/sugars/belgian-candi-sugar/golden-candi-syrup-1-lb.html

I've used it in saisons and it's great.

EDIT: Brewed it as above. I got exactly 1.050, so yeah!

Good luck, hope it taste great for you! I bought a bottle of dandy wine once, dumped it down the drain. It was THE nastiest stuff I've ever had, don't think that will ever pass my gums again, but I wish u well with it.

My grandpa used to make a dandelion wine that was absolutely delicious. I bet it will make a really good saison.

I don't know what kind of dandelion wine you had JohnDubya, but I'd guess the nastiness was not caused by the dandelions themselves.

The dandelion candi syrup was made from a strong dandelion flower "tea" as a base. The tea was by no means nasty tasting, it was slightly sweet, nutty, a little floral, with only a hint of herbal flavor. I would have happily drunk it as tea. So I'm certain that even though the sugar will mostly ferment out that it will leave behind nothing but goodness that will be perfect in a Saison. The syrup has a little bit of caramel and a little bit of fruit flavors added, but those are also good things here.

Saisons are what I made that stuff for, although I might try some in an experimental Belgian Blonde or Patersbier.

EDIT, btw, I think the dandelion candi syrup would be good in a mild too. Maris Otter nutty + the nuttiness and light floral/herbal/caramel from the syrup, and some 60L and East Kent Goldings and a touch of chocolate malt... I may do that if I have some of this left over in the fall when my temps are more conducive to brewing a mild.

EDIT EDIT: Btw, I think East Kent Goldings or Styrian Goldings would be good instead of the Hallertauer in this beer as well. If I somehow end up with an extra can of it and this works out well, I might try that in another batch. Streisselspalt would be good too I bet, I'd probably have used that if I still had some.

I don't think I'd sub the saaz. I want the spice/cinnamon from it.

would love to see the recipe for the candi syrup!! Isn't funny that the dandelion was brought over here as food. Now we consider it a weed. Kind of like the deal for carp!! We traded rainbow trout for those things. At least the are a challenge to catch on the fly in sallow water!!

You saw it I thought, you commented on the thread. I basically made more of it, although I went up 5 degrees higher on subsequent batches from what I posted there to darken it just a touch more.

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/18-advanced-brewing-techniques/370666-dandelion-golden-candi-syrup#371309

I forgot how much vanilla like flavor that syrup had, that's going to add some more interesting stuff to this beer, maybe bring out some of the other flavors.

Anyways, I brewed this, and it did come out at 1.050, so I'm right where I wanted. Should be a nice summer beer I hope.

Woke up this morning to a house that smelled awesome and krausen out the wazoo and fermenter in the 70s already. Happy yeast is happy.

"mashani" post=379273 said:

You saw it I thought, you commented on the thread. I basically made more of it, although I went up 5 degrees higher on subsequent batches from what I posted there to darken it just a touch more.

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/18-advanced-brewing-techniques/370666-dandelion-golden-candi-syrup#371309

I forgot how much vanilla like flavor that syrup had, that's going to add some more interesting stuff to this beer, maybe bring out some of the other flavors.

Anyways, I brewed this, and it did come out at 1.050, so I'm right where I wanted. Should be a nice summer beer I hope.

You are right I did. I goggled it and found the thread. I apologize for not letting you know. One thing do you have a source for date sugar I have yet been able to find it locally. I am thinking about making a candi syrup when the choke cherries are ripe, maybe some elder berry blossom.

Okay added to my favorite list.

I've been fighting the little buggers since I moved here. Might as well try turning them into something useful.

Guess I'll try to develop a taste for the leaves while I'm at it.

Thanks again Mashani

"haerbob3" post=379364 said:

One thing do you have a source for date sugar I have yet been able to find it locally. I am thinking about making a candi syrup when the choke cherries are ripe, maybe some elder berry blossom.

If your have a grocery store that sells "Bob's Red Mill" products (look in the specialty flour section or the gluten free section) then they may sell or at least can get Bob's Red Mill date sugar. My local grocery store and my local Whole Foods can both order it if I ask. It's not the cheapest stuff in the world, that's the downside...

Or, if you want highly unrefined date sugar, which although it has impurities, still is really good for making darker candi syrup try an Indian/Pakistani grocery store if you have one around. You can usually buy blocks or chunks of date jaggery/gur there in various shades. That stuff is already partly inverted as a bonus. Not all of it is made from dates, so if they have a "cheap kind" and an "expensive kind" the expensive kind is likely the date variety. I've used it and it works well. Sometimes they have it as a soft sugar too.

Krausen fell which is expected at this point with this yeast. It is sitting at 73 degrees, and the aroma from it is awesome. I kept smelling it when bottling my Chimay Doree like beer, and it made me happy.

Came back from a trip, and perved. Based on the pellicle that formed in one of my kegs, it looks to me like one of my 2 kegs got infected with my "House Brett Strain", as in the Brett that lives in my house somewhere. I believe in my AC somewhere, or else in the compressor thing in my yard (or just local wild yeast that it sucks in perhaps) because I never get it without the AC on, and this was the first batch I brewed since the AC was on this year. I am getting the impression that it just floats around my house when the AC is on and if I'm lucky/unlucky? it lands in my cooled wort or into my keg when the lid is off.

So based on experience of 3 previous batches infected with this stuff over the last 2 years, this keg is going to get some pinapple and hay like funky flavors. It seems to be a Brett C like strain, it doesn't make the beer noticeably sour, just funky. The good news is that this actually isn't totally inappropriate here. But I will end up with two different beers, unless I decide to blend them. Which I may, when I pull a hydro sample and give it a taste I will decide.

It's in the bottle. Both of them tasted the same, which was kind of disappointing, as I was hoping the Brett had something to chew on and made some flavor. But brett is slow, so who knows with age what will happen.

That said they tasted good, if perhaps a bit too bitter with lots of lemon/orange like tartness, and peppery spice, and hints of cinnamon and mystery spice and a bit of plantain like flavor (no sweetness to it like banana) and some nutty/hay/earthy like flavors. Maybe the brett will chew on some of the bottling sugar and a bit more fermentables in the bottle and give me some more flavors later. But it doesn't really have much to work with besides the bottling sugar...

If anyone wonders what Bella Saison (or Wyeast French Saison) can do to a 1.050 batch... (extract no less, and even including an extract that was giving people fits, with just a bit of sugar added) then behold the 96%ish attenuation.

This was fermented mostly between 72 and 76 degrees.

[attachment=14017]P1080703.jpg[/attachment]

Drinking the trub bottle of the brett batch. I don't taste the brett at all. I think the Saison yeast just ate everything before the Brett got a chance to think about it. Maybe given a long time in the bottle the brett may actually do something, but I'm thinking it won't do much do to the FG... not much for it to eat.

Oh well. (I know you think this is a good thing - I like my home brett, so I'm sort of bummed).

The good news is it tastes delicious. It's like a spicy/savory/tart orange/lemon marmalade on biscuits with a bit of bitter herbs sprinkled on top. The nuttiness and vanilla like flavors from the dandelion candi syrup is coming across as that bready/toasty flavor, and it's delicious here. It's dry as hell but has great mouth feel. That's a side effect of French Saison type of yeast and carbonation levels.

It looks clear in the bottle at room temps, but I just tossed this in the fridge about 5 hours ago and it developed serious chill haze due to the preponderance of wheat and being trubby and the saison yeast still in suspension. My experience is that given more time in the bottle and a longer chill time it will become much clearer. It is becoming less cloudy as I'm drinking it and it's warming up. But that has nothing to do with the taste and it doesn't really bother me.

[attachment=14360]P1080755.JPG[/attachment]

This was a great way to use my second can of the Spring seasonal. A local Micro brewer made a Dandelion Saison which I got to try it the other day. To my tastes, this is better in every way except the chill haze. Surprises me since this was just a frankenbrew. I don't think they made an amber candi syrup out of their dandelions, I think they just boiled them and used the dandelion water.

Looks nice, regardless of the chill haze! (I never let that bother me.)

Sorry the house Brett was surpressed though!

:cheers: