Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Banjo-guy

Adding Corriander and Orange peel to LBK

I've brewed a wheat 5 gallon batch of wheat beer following Scewy's 420 Wheat recipe.
I realized that he added corriander and orange peel during the boil.
I'm going to bottle it in a few days.
How much should I add to a 2.5 gallon batch that is in the fermenter.
I could let it wait a few days extra before bottling if it would help to get more flavor out of the seeds and orange peel,

Are you going to batch prime?

If so, what I would do is boil them in the water you are going to add your priming sugar to. That will get everything out of them, where you may not get as much "dry herbing" those things...

I'm going to batch prime. Do have an idea about how much I should use?

Screwy said this in the original post " Adding a tiny amount of freshly crushed Coriander, one small pinch Grains of Paradise seed and about an ounce of bitter orange peel to the grain bill creates a very interesting wheat beer that's refreshing and citrusy.

That is when adding it during the boil. Even so the amount is " add a tiny amount "

Maybe I should pm Screwy.

considering that you are going to have a smaller volume of water for the batch prime you may need considerable more orange peel. You can go to the baking isle of the supermarket and there you should find orange essential oil use for hard candy making. It comes in small square bottles, at least the brand I use. I would start with a 1/4 to 1/2 bottle, they are small. Sample the beer ya primed and see if it is up to taste

"Banjo-guy" post=379117 said:

I've brewed a wheat 5 gallon batch of wheat beer following Screwy's 420 Wheat recipe.
I could let it wait a few days extra before bottling if it would help to get more flavor out of the seeds and orange peel,

For a 5 gallon batch I use a 1/2 tsp. of crushed coriander and grains of paradise, so halve that for a LBK sized batch for starters. Boiling them for 10 minutes in a hop sack, then cooling before pouring the 'juice' into the bottling bucket should do the trick too. As for the dry orange peel I've always added them to the boil 10 minutes before flameout, so let me know how you make out boiling them in a quart or so of water too.

"Screwy Brewer" post=379150 said:

"Banjo-guy" post=379117 said:

I've brewed a wheat 5 gallon batch of wheat beer following Screwy's 420 Wheat recipe.

For a 5 gallon batch I use a 1/2 tsp. of crushed coriander and grains of paradise, so halve that for a LBK sized batch for starters. Boiling them for 10 minutes in a hop sack, then cooling before pouring the 'juice' into the bottling bucket should do the trick too. As for the dry orange peel I've always added them to the boil 10 minutes before flameout, so let me know how you make out boiling them in a quart or so of water too.

Just to make it idiot proof for me. 1/2 tsp of coriander and 1/2 tsp. of grains of paradise.
Peel of two oranges for a 2.5 gallon batch?

I've never used grains of paradise. I hope my LHBS has it. I wonder if I could find in a good supermarket or spice store.

Thanks for the recipe and the advice.

You can use pink or green peppercorns if you can't find the grains of paradise. It will give you a similar result.

I'm bottleing the 420 Wheat on Friday. I found the Grains Of Paradise at Whole Foods in NYC.
They sell a medium size jar for under 5.00 dollars .
I picked up an orange extract but I'm not sure if I will use it.
The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of coriander and Grains Of paradise. ( as per Screwy)

Am correct in using 1/2 tsp of coriander and 1/2 tsp. of grains of paradise.
Peel of two oranges for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Not 1 /2 tsp grand total of both spices?

The orange extract is probably very concentrated . I'm afraid I'll ruin the batch .
I think I will zest a couple of oranges.
I have to find out how much orange peel to add to the priming sugar.

If you read this Screwy I'd appreciate your feed back.

Thanks.

I was saying to add 1/2 an ounce of 'dried bitter orange peel' with 10 minutes remaining to the boil, that will blend nicely with the other two ingredients and you'll get a ton of orange citrusy goodness. For an extra treat I sometimes add 1/2 an ounce of Amarillo and a 1/4 pound steep of Munich for color and added flavor.

Ferment it using a nice healthy pitch of any clean fermenting yeast like WLP-001 or Wyeast-1056 possibly even Nottingham and keep the temperature below 70F. This style of beer is more about the grains and citrus not about the yeast flavors at all, that's what makes it really special. In fact I'm planning to dry hop the 5 gallon batch sitting here soon with an ounce of Cascades for increased aroma.

I'm still not clear how much coriander and grains of paradise I should add. Is it1/2 tsp of coriander and a 1/2 teaspoon of grains of paradise for a 5 gallon batch?

your LBK sized batch would require 1/4 tsp of each (if I am reading SB's ure what to do with freshly zested orange versus dried. I have those ingredients and am going to be doing them soon but I do have the already dried orange peel. Not sure how much difference the weight of freshly zested would make. Two should be fine, but then again this is me talking and I don't know crap :)

Cheers
jeff