Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dibs

First Time Steeping

Going to try this recipe from BigFloyd that I found in another thread because it seems like an easy one to try steeping for the first time and I have a can of CAL:

.5 lbs German medium Crystal – steeped 30 min
Just a smidgen of Black Patent - steeped30 min (not needed, but I had some on hand)
.5 lbs Briess Light Golden DME
Mr. Beer American Light HME refill
.5 oz 2012 Fuggle hops pellets at finish

OG 1.044v
Pitched Mr. Beer ale yeast (dry – rehydrated) at 73F
Primary at 68F (measured on side of LBK)
Dry hop with .5 oz Fuggle at one week
FG 1.011, ABV = 4.4%
Batch primed to 2.3

Just had a few questions so hopefully Big rolls around but if not, what does the Borg think?

1. Should I only do about 1/2 gallon of water for the 1/2 lb crystal steep? When I just steep (no mash), I don't really need to sparge, right?

2. The Fuggle hops I add at finish, do those just get poured into the lbk? No boil? Then dry hop the remaining .5 oz about 5 days before bottle?

3. Anything you guys would do different?

Hopefully this isn't too late.

1/2 gallon of water should be fine. A lot of people try not to go over 1 gallon per lb of grain steeped.

The recipe looks like it calls for .5 oz of Fuggles at flameout and .5 oz of Fuggles at one week. I may be misreading that and it is just .5 oz at one week though.

I would urge you to be a lot hesitant with the Black Patent. My experience tells me that it's a nasty grain and astringent. Although the documentation says that the astringency is "slight"...I think if you're going Black Patent for a color adjustment, there are better grains for that, such as a Carafa or the like.

I think that German medium crystal should be a nice complexity touch.

if the .5oz is at flameout you want to add it to the wort before you begin to cool it, not the LBK after it is cooled.

"Christ872" post=379306 said:

I would urge you to be a lot hesitant with the Black Patent. My experience tells me that it's a nasty grain and astringent. Although the documentation says that the astringency is "slight"...I think if you're going Black Patent for a color adjustment, there are better grains for that, such as a Carafa or the like.

I think that German medium crystal should be a nice complexity touch.

Agreed about the Black Patent. That's why I used just a pinch (maybe 1/10 oz) from what I had on hand. I wouldn't go out and buy any for this recipe. If you're going to get some Carafa for color, try to find some de-husked/de-bittered Carafa Special. The regular Carafa will lend some roastiness.

This was a batch that everyone (including me) who tried it enjoyed.