Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jivex5k

Cyser on the brain, making sense of it all.

Alright, I am overloaded with contradictory information and could use the helpful guidance of someone who has experience.

I want to make a cherry cyser, like zombie killer if you know what that is. I know it's slightly carbed, which I know how to do with bottle no problem. Here are my questions:

1. Pasteurized Apple Juice or Unpasteurized? Seems like some use pasteurized but others say make sure it's cold pasteurized if you can. I'm not against juicing apples myself to make my own juice.

2. Heating up the juice? Some recipes call for it, but I swear I remembering hearing you just throw in the juice and let it rip. This might be for ciders only though and not cysers which require honey to be added. I assume the heat is to ease the addition of the honey so it melds better??

I think that's all I need to know. I don't have a recipe either but I want to make a 2.5 gallon batch so heres my quick recipe:

2.5 gallons of self juiced apple juice
.75 lbs of Florida Orange Blossom honey
1 lb of cherries, crushed??

Ferment for 2-3 weeks, move to secondary for 6 months, taste throughout.

Am I way off here? Just flying by the seat of my pants.

Oh and will letting it sit in an LBK for 6 months have any negative consequences? I don't have a 2.5 gallon glass container.

My cyser was 80 oz of Motts Apple Juice and 2 lbs honey. No boiling just put em together and shake then pitch.

"Gymrat" post=379642 said:

My cyser was 80 oz of Motts Apple Juice and 2 lbs honey. No boiling just put em together and shake then pitch.

How did that come out?

A little on the sweet side as I used S 05 yeast instead of wine od champain yeast. But really nice otherwise.

Several months now. Close to a year. It was drinkable after 3 months.

Interesting....
Seems like the ratios are really flexible depending on whether you want more cider or mead qualities.
I'm just gonna throw caution to the wind and follow my heart!