Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
teutonic terror

Zythos hops

I'm gonna do a 2.5 gallon pale ale with zythos hops tonight.

http://morebeer.com/products/zythos-pellet-hops.html

Anybody have any experience with these?

Also, I know it's a matter of taste, but will I get more flavor and nose than bitterness if I use the whole ounce in say the last 20, 10 and 5 minute additions only?
I've always done a FWH and I'm curious if there is a big difference.
Thanks!!

They are yummy if you like a mix of piney/earthy hops and citrusy/fruity hops, with the profile pushed more towards the citrus/fruity side, and the citrus being more lemony/tangerine like, not grapefruit. If you don't like Citra then they would not be so hot, as those kinds of tropical fruity flavors are more of what I taste then anything.

You'll get boat loads of flavors and aroma if you use all your hops in a 20/10/5 addition, and you should get enough bitterness to balance the beer. But you will not get the "bite" that you get in an IPA that had a long boil hop addition.

It's a matter of taste, I like beers both ways, but some people think it's not an IPA if it doesn't have the "bite".

Yeah, I've used Zythos. I did a

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/zythos-elixir

note that the Szech Saaz is not saaz - but rather a numbers filler for the Mr. Beer HMEs

The aroma was great, but I would agree with Mashani on the aroma/flavor boils. The 40 minute bitterness boil left some grassiness and didn't benefit the beer. Course I also think my dry hop may have been too long too.

Very nice smelling hop. I would think it would make more sense in a lighter beer.

I didn't get as much out of it as I would have liked, but 90% of that is due to my procedures/recipe. I will use it again with a different gameplan next time.

You can experiment with 30/20/10/5/0 kinds of additions too. Starting at T-30 gives you a bit more bitterness, but still no bite, so if you find the T-20 start to not be as balanced as you like, try the T-30 next time.

Also note that this kind of hop schedule works best with higher AA hops. If you are using a lower AA hop, you are going to get malty beer unless you throw in an obscene amount of hops.

Thanks Chris for the insight on what to expect!

I went with the 20/10/5 schedule.

If I like this beer I plan on getting more so next time I can beef it up a little and dry hop too!
Getting ready to put it the LBK and give it a taste!

Thanks guys! :cheers:

LOVE EM!!! I am on my 3rd pound bag of them. Even used them as the only hop in a pils type beer

Thanks Bob. I'm looking forward to this brew!

This one is resting comfortably in the LBK! I tasted the OG sample and noticed it had a pleasant flavor and not a high amount of bitterness to it. I'm sure that will change several times in the next couple of months!

BTW, whoever came up with the idea of putting the mash in oven to hold the temp steady is a friggin' genius! :woohoo:
Held this one at 149-150F for 90 mins! :cheers:

I've used zythos on a few brews, very tasty. If you haven't already, give Falconers flight a try as well.

"MonkeyMan" post=380178 said:

I've used zythos on a few brews, very tasty. If you haven't already, give Falconers flight a try as well.

I tried some with Summit that I really couldn't tell what was what in that brew.
Should have done a SMaSH!

I have some Falconer Seven Seas that I plan on giving a try in a couple of weeks if not sooner!