Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
johned1

Where to buy Muscat Grape Juice

I ordered the "King's Nectar" recipe during the 20% off sale. One ingredient it calls for is 2 cups Muscat Grape Juice. I thought I could pick that up at the local grocery store. But it seems that kind of juice is for winemaking. Anybody know where is the best place (and cheapest) place to get that?

If it is a juice for wine making you should be able to get a from a local LHBS. Mine sells both beer and wine making stuff.

The "local" homebrew store is about 30 miles away, so not much of an option for me. I ordered a can of it from northernbrewer. That was the best price online. I need 2 cups (8 ounces), and the can is 5.75 cups (46 ounces). So I figure I'll make a batch and seal the remaining juice and store it in the freezer. I figure I'll make a custom receipe with the rest of the juice later. The can plus shipping cost about 23 bucks, so I want to get full use out of it, I don't want to just use two cups and throw it away.

Also, the Kings Nectar receipe is looking real good. Kind of a cross between a beer and wine. 7% alcohol content. I've seen similar receipes on other websites, and everyone's saying how good it is. Only issue is conditioning time is 3 to 4 months. So, this is going to be my Christmas Beer.

johned1 wrote:

The "local" homebrew store is about 30 miles away, so not much of an option for me. I ordered a can of it from northernbrewer. That was the best price online. I need 2 cups (8 ounces), and the can is 5.75 cups (46 ounces). So I figure I'll make a batch and seal the remaining juice and store it in the freezer. I figure I'll make a custom receipe with the rest of the juice later. The can plus shipping cost about 23 bucks, so I want to get full use out of it, I don't want to just use two cups and throw it away.

Also, the Kings Nectar receipe is looking real good. Kind of a cross between a beer and wine. 7% alcohol content. I've seen similar receipes on other websites, and everyone's saying how good it is. Only issue is conditioning time is 3 to 4 months. So, this is going to be my Christmas Beer.

Excellent solution johned1. My only suggestion would be to freeze it in smaller quanities so you could use a little if needed. I freeze chicken broth in an ice tray. Then store the cubes in the deep freeze in a zip bag. That way I can use a little or a lot without having to thaw it all.

Just wondering how this brew turned out for you. Sorry to dig up an old post but I just purchased this recipe, saffron, and the muscat juice concentrate. I am kind of confused as the recipe calls for 2 cups of muscat juice, while the Alexander's Muscat 46 oz is a concentrate. Further can you assume 46 oz by weight (assume product is sold by weight) is equal to 5.75 cups by volume? I know that 1 floz of water weighs 1 oz. Or did you dilute the concentrate to make juice and then use that? It says on the website that 2 cans of Alexander's Muscat concentrate is enough for 5 gallons of wine! I am wondering if the can has the proper dilution instructions to make juice.

Just found another website that sells this concentrate and they recommend 2 cans of concentrate to make 5 gallons of wine. Therefore just using ratios (for 1 can, make 2.5 gallons):
_46oz_aa=aa _x_
40 cupsaaaa2 cups
Therefore, the amount of concentrate needed to mix with 2 cups of water is x = 2.3 oz (by weight). This will give just a tad more then 2 cups but the dilution would be as stated on the supplier website and you should be able to measure out 2 cups. Is this logic correct? Like I said, I don't know what the can actually says for make juice.
Thanks!

Hi everyone,
Got my 46 floz can of Alexander's Muscat Juice concentrate. On the can it is definitely in fluid ounces and not ounces by weight. Well on the can is some directions for making wine and it calls for 2 46floz cans of juice concentrate to 11.5 cans of water. Therefore, the dilution ratio is 0.174 (rounded) juice/water. I need to taste this dilution, but a quick email to mrbeer suggested using Welch's White Grape Juice instead. I understand that the White Grape Juice is pretty sweet so I will make some test batches with the muscat to see if the level of sweetness compares. I know on some of the Welch's concentrate they call for 3 cans of water to every 1 can of concentrate. Anyway to use the dilution just multiply the amount of juice needed by the ratio and that gives you the amount of concentrate to add. So 2 cups is 16floz. So 16*0.174 = 2.78 floz of juice concentrate needed with 2 cups of water. Like I said, I will test this out first to see if it is too watery. I wouldn't think so if it is the same ratio to make wine.