Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

San Diego Super yeast WLP090

Has anyone used this yeast? How does it compare to the California Ale yeast or the Wyeast 1056? I'm going to try this in my next batch if the LHBS has it.

I've used it several times... I'm not 'super' impressed. Works well, but on the recipes I brewed with, didn't seem to attenuate as well as 1056 or US-05. Kinda like a fast fermenting English strain without the fruity aromas. Not a thumbs up or down... Just neutral. This would not be be my 'desert island' yeast ( you know, if you had to pick one to have while being stranded?).

I used it on an Imperial IPA, got to 1.008, was very satisfied with the attenuation.
Very neutral as Rebel says, leaves a lot of room for hops to shine.

I almost used this yeast on a Dead Guy clone I brewed this past Saturday when I couldn't get my hands on any Wyeast Pacman. I opted instead for WLP011 European Ale on the advice of someone who has used WLP011 on this same recipe with good results.

Caution - WLP090 has a very (and I mean very) narrow temperature range. The gurus around here tell me to ferment with it only between 65-68*F, no more, no less. They also suggested making a good (at least 1L stir plate or 2L simple) starter with it.

I'll probably go with the 1056 or the WL California ale because of the temp range.
Has anyone tried the Lallemand West coast yeast?

"losman26" post=380421 said:

I'll probably go with the 1056 or the WL California ale because of the temp range.

I'm using it right now for an IPA, fermentation took off like crazy after 24 hours.
It's been a week since I pitched, going to take hydro readings today but it's probably pretty close to finished.

I can't say much about the flavor or anything though since the beer isn't finished, but it ferments vigorously.

"jivex5k" post=380422 said:

"losman26" post=380421 said:

I'm using it right now for an IPA, fermentation took off like crazy after 24 hours.
It's been a week since I pitched, going to take hydro readings today but it's probably pretty close to finished.

I can't say much about the flavor or anything though since the beer isn't finished, but it ferments vigorously.

Let me know how it turns out. I have a starter of this that has an expiration date of 6-13. I did a 1.8 starter, expecting it not to do much, and it is going crazy. This is definitely gonna be washed later on for future use.

"losman26" post=380989 said:

Let me know how it turns out. I have a starter of this that has an expiration date of 6-13. I did a 1.8 starter, expecting it not to do much, and it is going crazy. This is definitely gonna be washed later on for future use.

I racked it today, finished at 1.011, OG 1.050. Yeah it fermented very strongly for 4-5 days, tons of co2.
Didn't finish as dry as I'd like it to, but not bad.
Preliminary tasting shows very little yeast character, it's really going to let the dry hopping come through strong, right now it tastes like a well balanced pale ale.