Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SelfFueled

New to brewing and to the forum

Hello to all!

Just picked up a MB Rootbeer kit to have some fun with the kids during the summer break.
Went to their site to see how much refills were and was hpnotized!!!

Wow, spent a few hours there and have been reading hear for the last few days.
I have to get into reading more and of course all the basics.
However I made a purchase last night.
4 scratch/dent kits and also some refills:
1776 Ale
Belgian Blanc
Bavarian Weissbier
Oktoberfest Lager

My better half is expecting our 4th and we both like lighter less hoppy beers,
so that is why I made the "lighter" choices.
She likes #9 and bocks as do I, plus I like white and pale ales.

We have a LHBC 20 min away and prices are cheap as online, sometimes less.

I always over complicate everything and make easy things look hard.
So I want to get quite a few batches down with the MB kits first until I start using
other kits/ingredients to tailor our needs.

The kids and I just batched our first rootbeer brew and we sampled some extra....very nice.
Now I did sway a bit by using a cup of light brown and about one tablespoon of molasses,
but i also use 2 cups of raw sugar cane instead of white, so we will see how it turns out.
the root beer recipes can already be duplicated by memory, so we can have some fun
in the future with the kids thoughts and ideas.

I went and got the 4 dent kits so we can batch a couple to start and also do the full size batch
5 gal in two MB LBKs.

I read a bit on the ginger ale threads, but have to find some solid recipes, maybe that
will be one for the kids rb kit.

Not much for questions yet, but sure there will be some in the future.

Rob

welcome to the borg! the beauty about mr. beer is the variety of beers you can brew with little to no experience. many of us here use the LBK to brew all grain, full extract, and everything in between. Any questions you may have, we're all here to answer them as best as we can!

I'm like you and your wife in that I prefer less hoppy beers. If it's not balanced, I rather it lean toward the malty side. Bocks, wheats, fruit beers, pilsners, Belgian anything... they're all right with me!

Yep.. the :borg: had you before you had a chance. Just try it all and never let your imagination stop you.

Welcome to the Beer Borg - Great to have you on board. :barman:

[attachment=13883]40487_2013-06-17.jpg[/attachment]

Welcome aboard Self. You'll find lots of friendly folks here ready to answer any questions.

Welcome :) .

Before long, you will have a good pipeline. The thing you want to do is to follow the direction with the exception of 2 things.

1. Let the batch ferment for 3 weeks in the LBK (little brown keg) and
2. Let it carb and condition at room temperature for 4 weeks.

It will be hard and if you have to sample one here and there, well go ahead. You will soon learn what a green beer tastes like.

I am one of those rebels and like to do a 2 lbk (with gravity readings) and 5 week CC's.

Although I have recently done a Mr. Beer Blonde with Trappist yeast that has been in the lbk for 3+ weeks because that yeast seems to be a slow one.

If you do nothing else get a hydrometer that is a priceless piece of gear for brewing. I do agree with Snowjob on having a sample at various times the differences will amaze you.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!!!

I guess I had a question come to mind...

The carb and condition, from what I have read so far, the longer the better. (min 4 week or so)
BUT, is there such thing as too long?
Would it just be for some brews?

I did read to only fridge what you are wanting to drink in the next few days,
so does that mean that they can sit bottled for a year?
And would this be for any brew or what could you not do this with?

Welcome to the obsession!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start and well on your way.

:cheers:

Rick

"SelfFueled" post=380495 said:

The carb and condition, from what I have read so far, the longer the better. (min 4 week or so)

As for me, a batch lasts no more than 4 months a little longer if I did a 5 gallon batch. But I have read that beers are still good even after a year.

Welcome!

Here's a little friendly advice: Modify your timetable to at least 2 weeks in the LBK and four weeks in the bottle at room temperature before chilling and drinking. Other than that, do the recipes according to directions until you're comfortable with the process and gain an understanding of what the various extracts are like. Experimenting with adjuncts is all well and good, but you need the basic knowledge of the flavors in your base recipe before you can make intelligent choices on additions.

You may have the feeling that this slows you down, but think about it -- which will slow you down more, getting comfortable with the process and the ingredients, or brewing beer that sucks and which you don't want to drink, and you don't know what went wrong because you added six different things to the base recipe? Your choice, of course, but I'm just sayin'.

Have fun with your learning process, and honestly, before you know it, you'll be modifying recipes and creating some great individualized beer.

Oh, and keep notes on everything you do. If you make a great recipe and can't duplicate it, you'll be pretty angry with yourself.

Welcome! +1,000 for reading the forum. While not everything that gets asked has been asked before, many things have been asked lots of times - and the answers are there. The Search function on the forum is pretty lousy (perhaps the RADICAL UPDATE promised by Mr. Beer will fix that). In the meantime, try using Google to search the forum, see syntax below.

Also, while this is a great forum, many generic brewing questions are answered all over the web. "What's the difference between LME and DME" for example - yields 19,200 results, and one of the top 5 is in this forum.

The best advice - PATIENCE. Wait the 49 long days to try your first one. Great catch on refrigerating only what you are ready to drink in 2 or 3 days. I'd add - ROTATE your inventory. When I first put some bottles in, sometimes I don't get them all drank right away (I have ~12 different types in my frig right now). After a few weeks, pull those out of the frig, put them at the back of the inventory, and put in ones that have a few more weeks of aging. Once everything has about 12 weeks on it I don't bother any more. On my labels I write the date that I refrigerate them, and then if I pull them I cross it out and write how many days it was cold (since it doesn't condition much), so when I go to put it back I can do the rough math.

I'd also recommend brewing every 3 weeks to build your pipeline. I started doing that in January and within a few months was very happy with choices, lots of choices. 12 ready to drink, another one a week out, and one ready to bottle in a week (the last 2 are 5 gallon batches split between two LBKs).

+1 on keeping notes. I setup a spreadsheet that has a tab for my inventory of brewed beers, one for my brewing history with notes, unbrewed inventory (with expiration dates), recipes, investment (hardware, supplies, and ingredients), batch priming data, and a "to buy" list. I also use QBrew to figure out how things are going to come out. Or should come out.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the :borg: and Happy Brewing :cheers:
As to your question i have had some beers as long as a year and they have been good as long as you keep them in the dark.

"SelfFueled" post=380495 said:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!!!

I guess I had a question come to mind...

Welcome to the forum and the obsession! Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are more than enough knowledgeable and friendly people here to help you make better beer!

Patience is your friend in brewing, and the longer in the bottle is usually better, but it does depend on the beer. 4 weeks is a pretty good guideline. It can be much longer for other beers. Porters and stouts probably need a little longer, barleywines out to a year or so (never brewed one, so I can't speak on experience there). My wheat beer was good to go at 3 weeks, and wheats are generally better young. Have patience, and as the hat said, take notes. You will learn when your beers are drinkable to you and how they age.

You could probably keep them for a year or so, none of mine last more than 2-3 months, so I don't know for sure ;)

While 4 weeks of carb/conditioning is a good overall guideline, there are exceptions. IPA's are better young. I sometimes find them to be excellent at just 2 weeks in the bottle. Stouts and complex ales are better at 2-4 months in the bottle. I have had a few beers at 1 1/2 years that were great. Generally those are brews I forgot about.

Welcome aBorg!

Also, remember, chase flavor not ABV. ABV will come naturally with style. Too many people have taken their Classic American Light, threw every sugar and adjunct they can find in their cupboards into it hoping to get 13% ABV, tasted it in 2 weeks, and promptly assumed that home brews are nasty and put their stuff on Craigslist. The Frankenbier stage WILL come, but this is the learning stage. But above all have fun!

Wanted to again thank everyone for the replies!

Confident that this site has more than nice members.

I read a lot (still reading) but have learned much in the past week.

Just brewed up my first 4 MB brews, so my pipeline is in action!!!!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center SelfFueled. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.

Lots of information here, lots of friendly help. You can check the validity of that by just reading this forum. I'm a bit surprised that JDubb hasn't listed the most needed reading links here yet. Normally he's right on it. What a Slacker he is if he can't ride his 'scoot.

You will find information here starting with Mr. Beer all the way to All Grain Brewing. As you gain experience, we're here to help you make your favorite beer.