Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
twyjad

refill

You'll need to look around. Amazon, eBay, Walgreen's, Bed Bath, Sears... The full kits with refills, and sometimes bottles, go on sale now and then and are cleared out from many stores in January (I got kits for $12.49 from Walgreen's back then). And the refills also go on sale then. Also check Craigslist for people selling what they aren't going to make or as they quit. Put up a "WANTED" ad on Craigslist.

With Mr. Beer no longer (since last Fall) allowing stacked coupons, you won't see better than a 15 or 20% off on the site. Last Fall I got an order for close to 50% off, but didn't realize it was going to be the last chance to do so. Then they cleared out the old (pre-Coopers ownership) inventory for $5 a can. Haven't bought since, now I've done two recipes from LME without Mr. Beer and both have turned out fine, so I don't know that I'll return without those kinds of prices.

Also, in the Community Drainpipe, there is a thread for sales. Subscribe to that.

if you are trying to cut cost the best way to do that is to switch to brewing with extracts (DME and/or LME) hops and specialty grains. You are paying for the convenience of no boil kits. I also think as you explore the world of putting together & brewing your own recipes very satisfying.

True that the Mr Beer discounts aren't as deep and as often as they were during the clearing out of the old refills to make room for the new ones. As Rick says, they do come up from time to time on other online retailers as well as Mr Beer sales events. Clearance sales after holidays such as Father's day, Christmas, etc, also turn up some good deals.

Bob makes an excellent point, also. In addition to saving money by finding sales, you can also save by using plain LME and steeping specialty grains with your own hops, and even more by doing all grain batches. You may very well learn to love those methods so much that you'll hardly ever want to go back to HME at all.

All the major departments stores like to have Mr. Beer during holidays for Dad, since fathers day was last Sunday expect them to put the remaining on clearance in the next week or so