Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JimH

Interesting developement...

So, about 2 weeks ago I brewed up a recipe I created during the RCE. Canadian Blonde HME, 1/2 lb of wheat DME, 1/2 oz. Mt. Hood hops, and orange peel. I have been checking on the beer, and it is super dark. I can hardly get a flashlight light to shine into the beer. A little worried, this beer should not be as dark as a porter. It doesn't smell like infection. It's pretty perplexing, I don't know where I went wrong.

1/2 lb of the DME for 20 min. It was the same DME that made my wheat a little dark.

you boil dme lone enough it gets real dark. i wouldn't have thought 20 min too long. probably the dme i belive i read it gets darker as it ages

I am thinking the DME might be a little old. No telling how long it was at the LHBS before I bought it. I just was not expecting THIS dark. It is quite interesting.

darkening with age should not be an issue with DME. One possibility is that wheat is cloudy from the proteins. Have you tasted a sample Jim? Were there any scorch marks on the bottom of your pot? Another possibility is that there were a few small clumps of DME that did not full dissolved and caramelized. I only used enough extract to get the gravity I needed for the hop boil adding the remainder at flame out. Even DME this greatly reduced darkening for me.

I say wait until you bottle it. I don't think you can really tell much by looking into an LBK with a flashlight. Also remember that wheat beers tend to be cloudy anyway.

I haven't tasted a sample yet. It's been fermenting for 14 days, contemplating taking a sample tomorrow and maybe bottling if it's good to go. I didn't see any scorch marks, but maybe there were some clumps of DME, although I did take extra time to stir it up really well to avoid that. I might take a sample off and take a picture to post here.

Only guess I got is the DME type was mislabeled on the package. IE you got amber DME instead of a light or extra light DME or something.

Post a pic of the actual DME?

I don't have a picture of the DME mashani. It was a different wheat DME than most people seem to use. It was Munton's and it was I think 55% Barley, 45% wheat.

I guess the beer isn't as dark as it appeared in the fermenter. I drew a sample, and other than the splurge of trub I got in the glass, it isn't as dark as I thought. But I may have let it ferment too hot.
[attachment=13903]sample.jpg[/attachment]

I am very interested in the orange peel, I intend to use some this weekend but have no clue about how to go about it (or maybe I'm overthinking it) did you just enjoy an orange and throw the peel in the fermenter or what?

Don't worry Roger, I read your post, and that is why I wanted to take a sample. (Also to find out if I could bottle it) It was just really strange how dark it appeared to be. Now I know.

somethingclever, DO NOT just throw in orange peel. The white part of the rind will impart a harsh bitterness to the beer. If you want to do orange, get a zester or buy it from your LHBS. I zested 1 orange then put the zest in at 10 min.

"JimH" post=380824 said:

I don't have a picture of the DME mashani. It was a different wheat DME than most people seem to use. It was Munton's and it was I think 55% Barley, 45% wheat.

I guess the beer isn't as dark as it appeared in the fermenter. I drew a sample, and other than the splurge of trub I got in the glass, it isn't as dark as I thought. But I may have let it ferment too hot.
[attachment=13903]sample.jpg[/attachment]

munton's is what my lhbs carries i've been using it since march. the only problem i had is using all the dme for the whole 60min boil would make it dark. when i started splitting the dme the color lightened back out. never had one come out orange.

My first wheat came out really dark, and Jim Johnson suggested shortening my boil times with the DME. My second batch (different style, but still a wheat) came out much lighter following his suggestion. Your sample is quite a bit lighter (and Oranger... :laugh: ) than mine was. Mine still tasted good, just dark.

From the color, what are you going to call this recipe, Orange Dreamcicle? :chug:

[attachment=13921]Orange.jpg[/attachment]

Here is a better picture. Not sure it still looks orange, but I might be color blind :laugh:

Orange Dreamcicle? Sounds like it might be an OK name. I don't have a name for this one.

"JimH" post=381231 said:

[attachment=13921]Orange.jpg[/attachment]

Here is a better picture. Not sure it still looks orange, but I might be color blind :laugh:

Orange Dreamcicle? Sounds like it might be an OK name. I don't have a name for this one.

looks good Jim, to me it has a copper color this is probably the orange zest, my wheats come out yellow/gold.

Yeah, it's a different color that's for sure. My big issue now is fusels. It is pretty warm here and I don't have a good setup for keeping cool. Not sure if it fermented too hot or not. I thought I detected some fusels, but I might have thought that about all my beers. Time will tell. I hope I don't have to shut down the brewery for the summer!

i gather that like me you do not have central air (or heat for me). makes keeping the cooler cool enough real hard. try packing blankets around the coolers should help hold in the cold. if you got a wal mart near get 1 of these http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=00891w3&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 to monitor temp with out opening the cooler 'til you have to. it would suck to quit for the season, right when you need it the most.

Yup, no central air. Just a wall mounted window A/C unit in the living room, and a window one in the bedroom. I need to find some sort of insulating material I can make a small enclosure with. I don't have a cooler, or even the room to store a cooler. Usually the LBK sits in a small cabinet in the kitchen. Frozen Gatorade bottles were working, last month.

i got a 18000 and a couple fans that help move air around. i'm fortunate in that the floor plan of my house allowes for a circular air flow in the main part of the house. i'm racking my brain but can't think of anything. no room for a cooler. well 20-30 years ago i'd have had more or less the same problem. too many kids, too little house. i would consider the foam insulation goes in and expands