Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
manosteel9423

Frozen Cold Crash!!

Well, chalk this one up to another "Oops" moment! :blush:

I tossed my LBK full of the spring seasonal into my garage fridge a few days ago for the cold crash. I had done this many times before with no issues, but somebody must have messed with the controls on the fridge at some point over the last few days because yesterday morning when I went to grab a bottle of water out of that fridge, it was frozen solid.

At first, I didn't think much of it, I just turned the fridge down a bit and moved on.

However, as I was preparing, several hours later, to bottle my precious beer (and make another batch at the same time using some yeast slurry from the soon to be empty LBK) the thought occurred to me that this one might have gotten a bit too cold!

Sure enough, I went out to the fridge, grabbed the LBK, and heard a faint "crunch" as the ice inside it cracked!! :angry:

I brought it in the house and opened the lid. I had about an inch of ice beer on the surface. The rest was still liquid.

I decided to continue with my brewing process, using a fresh package of yeast, and save a bit of the 11.5g satchet of yeast to use in the batch priming process just in case the yeast in the frozen LBK had bit the proverbial bullet.

A few hours later...the beer had thawed and I proceeded with the bottling process, adding a couple of grams of yeast along with the priming solution.

I'm sure it will turn out fine, just thought I would share the experience and ask the Borg if anyone had ever had a similar experience?

I had a similar experience, the fridge got way to cold. My basement fridge is odd sometimes. My beer didn't freeze solid, but it did stay below 32 degrees for some unknown amount of time while I had a batch cold crashing. I bottled the beer, waited 4 weeks only to find flat beer. I guess it wasn't cold enough to freeze, but it was cold enough to kill my yeast. Talk about a "cold crash" :freeze: Like you said.... opps.

Tough break Mano. Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully you can bottle it up and still get carbed beer.

Thanks guys.

Not too worried about carbonation. I added more yeast at bottling, so it should carb with no problems.

The one bonus was, even though my spice bag had broken and the spices all went in commando, this might have been the clearest beer I've ever bottled!! LMAO!

You might have been able to boost the ABV just by removing some ice I think. :evil:

Eisenbocks are made exactly the same way, by removing the ice and then packaging the remaining beer for drinking later.

"manosteel9423" post=380653 said:

Thanks guys.

Not too worried about carbonation. I added more yeast at bottling, so it should carb with no problems.

The one bonus was, even though my spice bag had broken and the spices all went in commando, this might have been the clearest beer I've ever bottled!! LMAO!

Take the positives in life! It is certainly a learning experience!

"JimH" post=380816 said:

"manosteel9423" post=380653 said:

Thanks guys.

Take the positives in life! It is certainly a learning experience!

I learned very early in this obsession, Jim, that no matter how careful you are or how diligent, you will always have some issue or another to overcome. Unless something goes woefully wrong (like pouring Iodophor solution in my beer! :angry: ) I try to just roll with the punches and problem solve the issues.

This one was a drop in the bucket compared to some, so no big deal.

And Screwy...I didn't have the patience to wait long enough for all the ice the melt, so I guess I got a quasi-Eisenbock since there was still a layer of ice left in the LBK after the transfer to the bottling bucket. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out!

:barman: