Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sundance

Good summertime brews

Just wanted to get your thoughts on what brews are good for the summer (drinking and brewing). I'd like to make a beer that I can enjoy in August -- something light and crisp, and something my picky family will enjoy (can't get too complex on them).

I'm thinking about the 1776 Ale, which seems to be popular. Is that a good summertime one? I thought of replacing the Smooth LME with Pale just to make it lighter, but maybe that's a bad idea.

I've also thought of making the Canadian deluxe refill with some Saaz hops thrown in.

I wanted to make the Shade Tree Kolsch, but thought better of it since the fermenting temperature of the liquid yeast can't go over 68 -- I don't want to risk it.

Your recommendations for a summertime brew are appreciated!

"Sundance" post=380620 said:

I wanted to make the Shade Tree Kolsch, but thought better of it since the fermenting temperature of the liquid yeast can't go over 68 -- I don't want to risk it.

Where did you get that info?? Kolsch yeast is an ale yeast and does not require lager temps. All yeasts have the same basic handling procedures

1 -- BrewMax LME SoftPack - Pale
1 -- 1/2 oz Saaz
1 -- Can of Grand Bohemain Czech Pilsner

go to the higher end of the carbonation. Nice, light, refreshing and crisp.

"haerbob3" post=380629 said:

"Sundance" post=380620 said:

Where did you get that info?? Kolsch yeast is an ale yeast and does not require lager temps. All yeasts have the same basic handling procedures

Could be a typo but the German Ale Liquid Yeast description puts the temp range at 55-68.

"Christ872" post=380630 said:

1 -- BrewMax LME SoftPack - Pale
1 -- 1/2 oz Saaz
1 -- Can of Grand Bohemain Czech Pilsner

go to the higher end of the carbonation. Nice, light, refreshing and crisp.

Thanks for the recommendation!

It is the same as any ale yeast, that is the idea fermentation temp. Are you having problems maintaining a temp of less than 70*? You also need to take into account that the temp in the fermenter can often be 10* higher than the surrounding air temp. A lot of brewers will keep ice packs in a cooler with the LBK to maintain the correct temp range. A quick google will get you lots of ideas on ways to help you maintain good fermentation temps. If you have a basement setting the fermenter on a concrete floor can really bring the temp down.

That's part of it -- the room where I am storing my LBK probably has a temperature fluctuation between 69 and 75 during the summer, and I wouldn't want to get a liquid yeast unless it was cooler outside and the temperature could be more consistently at 68-69.

That particular yeast/recipe doesn't matter that much, I just was seeing what recommendations people had for different clean, crisp, refreshing recipes.

I would look into the cooler and ice pack route. For general brewing 75* is to warm to generate a clean tasting ale. Safe Ale 05 would most likely be your best bet. If you are trying to copy something from the big brewers like bud light etc please be aware that these are the hardest beers for a home brewer to brew, there is no room for error. I am not trying to scare you but to make sure you are fully informed what you are up against. I take it you have no basement?

I don't have a basement. Thanks for the Safale 05 recommendation, it looks like it can ferment at the temperatures I have.

I'm really just looking for Mr. Beer recipes people have tried that they think are good summertime brews. I'm not trying to make a Bud Light clone per se. I figure I can't make something like that at this point because I can't brew lagers right now.

I'm drinking my 1776 Ale now. Brewed it per the recipe and it came out great. It's the first beer I've made worthy enough to share with friends...even those who are home brewers themselves.

I'll definitely make this one again.

I generally tend to drink wheatbeers during the warmer months and stouts during the cooler ones so I suppose that I would suggest a wheatbeer. I cant give any suggestions really because I have no experience with them ( I will this weekend) but I am trying to focus on the "crispness" of the clove/citrus flavors that make wheatbeers such a perfect " I just cut the grass" beer. just my 2c.

I've been brewing American Wheat beers since late Spring they're pretty easy recipes too and ready to drink in 2-3 weeks, I like them young and fresh. I add a little bittering hops initially followed by lots of flavor and aroma hops.

Fermenting at 68-72F using any clean finishing American Ale yeast gives this style a nice citrusy refreshing taste, just keep the alcohol to under 5.5% so you can drink them all day without passing out. That is unless passing out has already been figured into your day.

Thanks, guys! Jamaica Mon looks like a cool brew. And thanks for the tip about American Ale yeast, Screwy. I think I'll go with the 1776 Ale (thanks for the recommendation, JWB), and maybe do a Canadian Deluxe refill because for some reason I've become obsessed with brewing the Canadian Ale. Maybe dry hop some Saaz or Glaciers. Just shots in the dark with the hops, though.

I actually brewed the Who's Your Hefe? recipe back in April so luckily I've got a nice crisp wheat beer to drink now. That's a really good recipe, I recommend it!