Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbs

10 day cold crash, all seems well

It's been a little crazy lately, had some time off for shoulder surgery and wasn't able to do a whole lot, not to mention the million other things that had to be put off, so what was meant to be a 3 day crash ended up being 10 days.

And I have to say, I liked the results :) Not only was the beer crystal clear, and the trub very solidified, this was the first batch I was able to fill over 8 liters worth of bottles without any trub bottle, in-fact even had enough after 8L for a little 280ml tester :)

I also got to test out my new capper which my wife picked up for my recent b-day :) I've finally made the step to glass which I'm pretty happy about, it was inevitable.

I did fill one 500ml plastic bottle so I could check for carbonation and I'm happy to report that after less than 24 hours it's firming up nicely.

This batch was an Oktoberfest with a little extra LME and irish moss and it tasted surprisingly yummy flat.

Congrats BrewBS...always a good thing to cold-crash even if for a far shorter period. I love bottling cold for the same reasons you posted, the firmness of the trub, the crystal clear beer, etc. After doing this you will find that you can pour almost to the last drop of brew in your bottle (especially if you cold chill the bottles for longer periods of time as well). Your brews will be that much farther along as you will soon tell after carbonation.

+100000000 to infinity and beyond to cold crashing. You will love the Oktoberfest I GUARANTEE IT (said like the Mens Wearhouse gent!!!)

Thanks T8r, you know I didn't think Oktoberfest would be a beer for me, I'm primarily a english brown ale and a american pale ale and some IPA kind of person. I got 3 of them on clearance and the first two I just went straight to making Howling Red variants ...and to be honest, maybe they are just green but I wasn't too thrilled with how they turned out. This one tasted really good flat and I think it's going to be the best of the lot.