Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
joe-fred

Too Much Head

:chug:

Has anybody here ever thought that when they pour their beer from a newly brewed bottle, gets too much head of foam in the glass? I've tried to pour at exactly a 45 angle, poured slowly, stop then go but I get almost a full glass of foam every time. What gives? It's not until there is about a 1/4 left in the bottle until it tames down.. Any ideas? Thx, joe-fred

Welcome aboard, Joe!

Let me ask...are you using the Mr Beer guidelines for priming sugar? If so, you may have over-carbed your beer a little bit, causing your issue. Let us know whether you bottle primed or batch primed and how much sugar you used. That will help with the diagnosis. Also, what is the recipe, time and temp in LBK, time and temp carbing/conditioning and how many days was the beer in the fridge prior to pouring?

Welcome aboard The Obsession joe-fred! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

Navigate on over to our Advanced Brewing Techniques area of the forum and read over the

option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=18&id=202417" target="_blank" title="http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?

option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=18&id=202417">'4 Things Every Brewer Should Know About Yeast'

sticky. Yeast is a living cell, keep them healthy and they'll ferment you up some awesome tasting beers.

Set your course and sail on over to our New Brewers and FAQs area of the forum and read over the 'Malt To Adjunct Ratios' sticky.

Remember for the best tasting beer you'll want no less than 80% of the alcohol to come from malts and no more than 20% of the alcohol to come from sugars or other adjuncts.

Give your beer at least 2-3 weeks to ferment and another 3-4 weeks to carbonate and condition before refrigerating. I know it's going to be hard to resist popping them open sooner, but like with anything homebrewing it'll be worth the wait.

When using any priming calculator enter the warmest temperature that your fermenting beer has endured between the time you pitched your yeast until bottling day. This has to do with the beer's residual level of Co2, or the ability for beer to absorb Co2 into solution during fermentation. For a typical Ale fermenting around 70F the residual Co2 will be around .83 volumes, which is then subtracted from whatever Co2 level you entered as your target.

Example 1: Beer was fermented at 70F and bottled at 70F - Enter 70F for the temperature
Example 2: Beer was fermented at 70F and bottled at 60F - Enter 70F for the temperature
Example 3: Beer was fermented at 70F and bottled at 80F - Enter 80F for the temperature

Higher levels of Co2 will stay in solution when the beer is colder, as the beer warms up more Co2 will be released from solution. Hope that helps.

This is my glass of beer. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my beer is useless. Without my beer, I am useless. ~ Screwy Brewer

"Joechianti" post=380732 said:

I never knew it was possible to get too much head.

Totally agree!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

"Joechianti" post=380732 said:

I never knew it was possible to get too much head.

Ditto