Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kahbrohn

Hey hey hey!

Hello fellow beer-drinkers and aficionados!

Well, fathers day came around and my daughter (a chemist) decided to give me a Mr. Beer kit... and well... here I am! I hope to gain much needed knowledge so I can enjoy one of my favorite drinks.

I am wondering if the temperature here in Puerto Rico will be a bit too much for home brewing. Not planning on investing in equipment until I know I have the techniques required to brew down to a good understanding of what I am doing. Later on as my skill develop I may consider additional equipment and such. With this in mind, I have seen a couple ideas on how to deal with heat. Any additional ideas besides a couple I saw in the Brewing 101 series?

Welcome to the obsession.

If you have a cooler that the LBK can fit in nowhere is to warm or too cold.

Welcome. And +1 to what brewin Bull said a cooler and some ice bottles go a long way to keep your temps down

Welcome, Kahbrohn. That's some name! One way to keep the fermenting beer cool without investing too much is with an ice chest and some recycled plastic soda bottles filled with water and frozen. I use a 48 quart ice chest I got for $16 new, and I hang a $2 Wal-mart thermometer inside it. The ice chest can always be used for picnics and other things, so it's not wasted money. And it works, as simple as it is. There's better ways, but they usually involve more money. There's cheaper ways too, but I don't think they have as much impact as the ice chest with frozen water bottles.

Kahbrohn:

WELCOME to "THE ADDICTION" and the borg. You have chosen a life of nectar-loving folks here and in what you brew.

Start off right by freezing some 32 oz or 64 oz water bottles and get a 48 quart cooler at the least to place the LBK in with those frozen water bottles and the temps should stay in the 62-68* range as it does here in Arid-zona.

also, remember these 3 important words:

Patience, Sanitization & SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

[attachment=13898]welcome_2013-06-18.jpg[/attachment]

welcome to the forum +1 on a cooler

[attachment=13899]welcomebeer_2013-06-18-3.gif[/attachment]

Welcome to the Borg! If you decide to make beer brewing a family affair with your daughter, her chemistry background can come in handy when trying to achieve specific results. Plus, always nice to have some father-daughter bonding time! Enjoy your gift, and brew on :)

I paid less than 6 bucks for one of those outdoor digital thermometers that you are supposed to stick to your window. But I just have it sitting on my brew table in my basement. Every 24 hours it updates the High and low temps. If you can find something similar the high/low temps can really help you adjust things.

Also if temp control is scaring you, then just do the cheaper basic brews. You will gain a flavor baseline knowledge, as well as minimize loss if temps get out of control.

Yep. A cooler with frozen water bottles is the ticket. Just stick a thermometer in there and play around with how many bottles is needed to keep the temp in the mid 60s. Should only take one or two depending on the type of cooler and size of the bottles.

Welcome and happy brewing!

:chug:

Thanks to all for your responses. Really appreciate it. A couple of ideas there that I will implement ASAP. I only found a Walgreens styrofoam chest in which the LBK fit in perfectly. Am using a 1.75 L soda bottle of frozen water switching out about every 12 hours. Going back to Walgreens to see if I can find some of those stick on thermometers.

As for the names... well... I can only assume you caught onto it's "unintended meaning". I swear that it was unintentional - a name used for characters I had when I went through my World of Warcraft days. If anyone is curious, PM me on it and I can elaborate.

Overall, I threw together the first stock batch (American Light) and I have no high expectations all though I do see it was simple enough. Just wanting to get a feel on things, read up on things here and then get cooking.

As for the Beerborg... :borg: Been assimilated a long time ago as a drinker. My conversion should be complete as a brewer! ;)

Welcome to the :borg: and the obsesssion. You might try the fish dept of a pet store for a stick on thermometer.