Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jsherman

Defibrillator Dopplebock Mod

So I had ordered the actual recipe and then used the booster for something else so I made do with Smooth LME instead.

From what I have read this should make my beer maltier/sweeter, which is great in my book. I am becoming a hop fan now, but I have always loved heavy malty beers.

I figure this one is gonna get stashed away till Novemberish, so I made it now to get a good long conditioning in.

Here is what I used in a LBK 2.14g batch

1 Winter Dark Ale
1 Robust LME
1 Smooth LME
1 Yeast from under the lid

My OG came in at 1.072, but that was my first use of a hydrometer ever.

This is the first batch I've seen krausen higher than a 1/2 inch, and this guy made it to the top but no overflow. YET. :sweat:

Yeah, you did alright subbing out the booster with the LME. And since it will be a high ABV brew, you'll definitely want to condition for several months. If you can hold off till November as you indicated, you'll have a damn fine beer. Be sure to inform the Borg how it turns out.

Wow, this one did not come out with a heavy malty flavor at all, not even a little sweet tasting at bottling.

Very dark, nice strong coffee flavor and bitterness.

:drinking: :laugh:

This was one of the first recipes I made, about a year ago. I didn't much care for it at first, so it's been a slow moving case. I had one a couple days ago and actually enjoyed it. hurray conditioning! I'm sure you'll enjoy it with some months filling out.