Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
windowpane

1/2 lire bottles

bottled up 16 1/2 litre bottles. put 1 tsp sugar in as per directions. filled to about 2 inches from top. 15 full and only 1/2 on the last so that one is toast. OK with just 1 tsp?? did it about 5 hours ago. Czech pilsner. thx for advice.

I think most Borg members will tell you a full tsp is a little too much. But I have found that is the amount I most prefer. I guess i like my beers with a little more carbonation than others. You just have to experiment with different amounts to see what you like.

You are in the ballpark of being okay with that amount. I come from the firm belief that you can always let some carbonation out once carbonated but you can't easily add more carbonation if the brew is flat.

I usually use 1 tsp to 1 1/4 tsp for my .5 Litre bottles and have never had a problem either way. You will be good to go until drinking time to verify your carbing...take good notes for each batch and note that you used XXX amt for YYY batch of brew and it was too much or too little or spot on...then move forward from there. Good luck and Hoppy Brewing my friend!!!

I think T8rSalad is right on about this about taking good notes because you have to wait a while before you taste your beer and when you have a pipeline building to the point that you are FINALLY tasting several kinds you will start to see how you like your carb levels in different styles which would be hard without notes.

For example we have been drinking some Blonde Ales we did with single hops for hops tasting which we carbed with a mini cube and they are great summer beers but some folks may like more carbonation in a summer beer than we used. I personally think to much carbonation gets in the way and blocks some flavors.

We check the beer styles guidelines and if the mini cubes are close enough we stick with that because it makes for a very easy bottling day but will batch prime anything that is much higher or lower than a mini cube will provide.

To me the carbonation levels in the beer style guidelines are there because there is an "historical/cultural/seasonal" reason why a beer was carbed that way. If my taste buds disagree but I like the beer otherwise and want to make it again for my own consumption I'll tweek it and my notes will tell me so.

The half-full bottle will be fine, too. At least that's been my experience.